Let the ribbing begin

Anything Ruger related.
RoninPA

Let the ribbing begin

Post by RoninPA »

For your Saturday evening enjoyment. :D

Sold a couple of guns (1 AR-15 and 1 refurbished Police Service Six) and had been sitting on the money trying to decide what do I really want. During the "pandemic" I built 2 10/22's from all the parts I had laying around and built 2 AR pistols (9mm/suppressed and .300 Blackout/suppressed) and another AR-15 rifle (5.56mm).

The money was burning a hole in my pocket. Had been looking at 2 guns for a good while and finally bit the bullet and bought them. One for me and one for Jackie.

Jackie got a shooter OM Bearcat (unconverted) and I got a shooter NM Blackhawk (BK34). Bought them from Bob Livingston. I didn't have a shooter .357 Blackhawk and I wanted something a bit smaller for Jackie and she likes the .22's. Surprised her with it today when they arrived. Fits her great and she was thrilled.

Sooooo, I now am up to 13 SA handguns, 12 Rugers and 1 Colt. 6 are shooters (all Rugers) 7 are not.

I now have:
1 OM and 2 NM Super Blackhawks
1 OM and 1 NM Blackhawks (.357)
2 OM Single Sixes (1- .22LR only. 1- .22WMR only, both are correctly marked)
1 NM Super Single Six w/mag cylinder
1 OM and 2 NM Bearcats
1 NM Blackhawk (.45 Colt) (Guess I need to look for a OM .45 Colt :o )
1 Colt Frontier Scout (.22LR)

I don't hear too much grumbling from the DA's in the safe :D since I got some from the Poulin auction, Tulsa ROCS auction (LCR in brown camo - one of a kind I believe) and the engraved Redhawk from the FoNRA banquet (which I believe was the last one before the virus shut everything down).

So, I AM still a Ruger DA guy but I do now have a pretty good smattering of Ruger SA's. Hmmm, maybe a new and different display in the future. ;)
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
O M CRAZY

Re: Let the ribbing begin

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ron,
As you venture out to the single action Blackhawks, I understand. When there is nothing available to add to your collection you need to expand. I found myself expanding my .41mag. collection to include any gun Ruger made in the 41 caliber.

I now have 6 Redhawks, 1 Super Redhawk, and 2 Super Blackhawks, all are New Models.
Us boys need our toys! :D :lol:
Vince
Last edited by O M CRAZY on Sun May 31, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

I knew that you'd end up building a S/A stable, you'll enjoy shooting the BK34, I love the doubles but I'd have to say I enjoy shooting the S/A's the most.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Ron, Ron, Ron........what are we gonna do with you?!?!? :roll:

I KNOW :idea:
Now you need a flatgate single six, a Tri-Color lightweight, an alpha cat, a Super Bearcat, some Liberty Blackhawks, and, and, and...... :lol:
You get my drift.
I'm with Bennet, the SA stuff is my favorite.
But, like OM said, when there is nothing available to add to what you have, YOU JUST EXPAND!!!
Have fun!!

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Ron, repeat after me... "My name is Ron and I am a Rugerholic" You will feel better.... Congrats on your new revolvers!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Carl, I say that to myself every few weeks :o

Jay, I do have a flatgate Single Six, it dates to May, 1956 (with box and original papers) and conservatively I rate it at 99%. :D

Bennett, I enjoy shooting just about any style handgun and I do like shooting my SA's but I'm still a DA shooter at heart.

Vince, I know what you mean, I am slowly expanding my GP100 collection and still am on the lookout for specific Six series guns. Jackie just shakes her head when I get something now :roll:
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ron....Here's a pic of some of my new additions...Carol just shakes her head and say "WHY"

Vince
Attachments
DSC03904.JPG
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Vince,
Those are all really nice.

Jackie gave up a long time ago and doesn't even say anything anymore. But I have told her where to go to sell all the guns should something happen to me. ROCS/Ruger guys get first crack, then off to Poulin Auction for the rest.

I sleep with one eye open :o ;) :D
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
contender

Post by contender »

Kudos!
Getting any new gun for fun is always a way to bring a smile.

No ribbing from me,, and I understand you'll always be a dedicated DA fan.

And Vince; "Ron....Here's a pic of some of my new additions...Carol just shakes her head and say "WHY"
I'd reply; "Why NOT?" :D

As a few have alluded to,,, we, as collectors often find ourselves in a position of either getting all the variations of a model,, or in search of that one or two very rare or hard to find model we desire. As such,, we start expanding our desires,, and often branching into a different area. If we didn't our pleasure would wane, and we'd find something else to collect. (I can see a few of us now,, deciding to collect liberal art objects,,, wouldn't that be funny!) NOT!!!!!!
So, expanding our collections often causes us to find out we do have an appreciation for something different!
Kudos Ron!
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Shooting DA/SA revolvers is a vanishing sport. I don't meet many shooters under 60 who know and understand a DA revolver and even fewer who can hit a coke can at 75 yards with one - first shot. (the only shot that matters). J-frames excepted, and even they can do minute-of-can at 50 yards in practiced hands.

I lament the days when I could recite every DA I owned. Today I use a spreadsheet! Not much beats a DS in a Galco paddle holster (as I wear today). A snubbie Security-Six or Speed-Six gives up nothing as-well.

Most were bought NIB for well under $400. I remember when stores couldn't get $300 for a King Cobra or Detective Special. Even S&W 586/686 guns could offer mayriad coices for $350 OTD or less. Now I see old King Cobra guns for far above $1k, a sure sign we gunfools have more disposable income than the pre-HWP years. :o

From obscure to mainstream makers, DA revolvers attract my eye and my cash. Of course, they require top-notch LEATHER holsters (more cash).
They often come home with me. Only two rules apply -
1. never pay with credit cards.
2. Never buy a Rossi handgun.

YMMV.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops: