Early Auto Pistol Date

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
arcticruger

Early Auto Pistol Date

Post by arcticruger »

In John Dougan’s book, “Ruger Pistols & Revolvers” page 46, it states “From the 655 sets of completed parts delivered to the assembly department by October 7, 198 pistols were completed prior to October 6, 1949, the same day Ruger began to ship their first pistols. By October 10, the remaining 457 pistols had been assembled. These 655 pistols represent the first production run of guns produced by Storm, Ruger & Co.”

Curious, would I be correct in assuming that serial #600 would have been produced between October 7-10, 1949? Just trying to narrow it down.
chet15

Re: Early Auto Pistol Date

Post by chet15 »

Maybe.
The only one who knows for sure would be the factory.
That page of the daybook should still exist.
Chet15
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

I called Ruger Customer Service, and also emailed Linda from records. All I’m able to confirm from them is that it was indeed produced and shipped in October 1949, same as what the LOA I received stated.

Sure would like to know which day it was produced, but unfortunately for whatever reason Ruger won’t provide that information to me. The quest continues
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Your post brings up another question.
You refer to John Dougan's statement... “From the 655 sets of completed parts delivered to the assembly department by October 7, 198 pistols were completed prior to October 6, 1949, the same day Ruger began to ship their first pistols. By October 10, the remaining 457 pistols had been assembled. These 655 pistols represent the first production run of guns produced by Storm, Ruger & Co.”

Ruger serial numbed their guns from 0009 to 0660 (the first 8 were hand stamped internally only. Jack Boudreau probably handstamped the big #3 on his gun).

So 660 vs. 655 sets of completed parts delivered to assembly by October 7.
Why did Ruger skip serial numbers 0661 through 1999, then begin again at 2000? Was it some way for WBR to keep track of the earlier manufactured guns in case something went wrong with function or otherwise? Or was there another internal change that nobody knows about yet? Maybe an initial reference to the 6-groove guns versus the limited production 5-groove barrels of serial number 2000 to 3000 or so?
Chet15
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

I am just pleased to have SN 480, here in The Near North Woods. Will add this info to the "box". 8-) :P
david knutson

Post by david knutson »

That Guns's been around a lot I had it for quite a while and I think I bought it from Don Findlay
david knutson

Post by david knutson »

Nice that somebody added a box to it pretty sure it didn't have one when I bought it or sold it
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

david knutson wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:56 am That Guns's been around a lot I had it for quite a while and I think I bought it from Don Findlay
david knutson wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:54 am Nice that somebody added a box to it pretty sure it didn't have one when I bought it or sold it
That is true. I have learned quite a bit about its history since I bought it. There’s a lot more I’d like to learn and hear about.

Now if I could only find the correct early magazine for it. It did have one when owned by the sixth previous owner, but no box.