P89-90 Series with integral laser in frame?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Tenpoint

P89-90 Series with integral laser in frame?

Post by Tenpoint »

Forgive my ignorance re the P-series auto pistols as I am a single-action guy, but I saw a very interesting Ruger auto pistol tonight that may be offered for sale soon as part of an estate liquidation. If you guys think its worthwhile I might grab it if I'm offered the chance and maybe trade it off for an old Flattie. I went through some old Ruger catalogs tonight from the 90's but didn't see one like this.

The gun looks like an early P89-90's series pistol in 9mm. It has minimal markings; no model number on it and a short serial number. What caught my eye is the frame is sculptured to contain an integral laser about the diameter of a fat pencil. Real slick, definitely cast that way, not custom. One small button for the laser. Frame is a slighter darker gray than the slide, slide is stainless and may be bead blasted or tumbled as the whole slide is matte. Its in great condition, 90-95%. The deceased was a retired Fed LEO but I don't know what branch. Unfortunately my phone was in my briefcase on another floor or I'd have some pics.

Is this worth me following up on?
Could it be some special edition or LE only firearm?
Could the frame be aftermarket? (it was definitely metal, not plastic, and it looked cast)
Rugerologist

Re: P89-90 Series with integral laser in frame?

Post by Rugerologist »

Perhaps some of the answers that you seek can be found at the following link and I hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=832

The serial number and photos would help those more in the know determine what exactly you're considering.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Duster42

Post by Duster42 »

A few pic's of my KP94DLW
pix218625041 (2).jpg
pix218625041 (2).jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
pix218608923 (2).jpg
pix086838534.jpg
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'
Tenpoint

Post by Tenpoint »

Great link, and pics as well. Thanks, all were very helpful.

From the pics, right off the bat I noticed the all the stuff mounted on the slide. The gun I saw had none of that, making me think it was DOA from the start. Very slick with minimal markings in the slide. I fact, I don’t recall seeing a model name or number. Grips were the plastic ones just like pic.

Then I read the link from Chet showing production numbers for each type and I see there was indeed a DOA model produced. Very cool... may be on to something here.

As for the special Ruger finish they refer too, does anyone have a pic of what that looks like? The one I saw looked almost a greenish-gray (frame) when compared to the dark gray frame in the pic.

Regardless, I will follow up with the estate executor and see what the plans are for distribution.
rugerron

Post by rugerron »

Ruger made it and I once owned a NIB P94DAOL. The laser guns were the P94 models in 9mm. There was the standard P94, the P94DC and the P94DAO that were made that way with the laser. Still out there.
"Never let the inmates run the asylum".