1950 RST-4 (1st collectable?)

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
theo98

Re: 1950 RST-4 (1st collectable?)

Post by theo98 »

Watertender wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:39 pm Theo does the T514 have a 2 piece bolt? I had a couple of 1953 vintage Ruger .22 pistols promised to me by a family friend upon his passing. Did not get either of them but still remember those pistols like it was yesterday. You have a great pistol there with that in your collection. Thanks for showing us.
WT,

Yes, this T514 has a 2-piece Tapered Bolt Bottom Arbor! Side views give it away, as the 2-piece tapered has only "4" ribs to grab on the bolt pull back ears. The single all-in-one piece non-tapered bolt has "5" evenly spaced ribbed ears to grab, such as my T678!

Ted

My MkI Family pics (T514 dressed w/target grips)! :mrgreen:
Ruger MkI Target Family.JPG
Ruger MkI Target Family-2.JPG
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

JMO........the T514 should never been removed from the Ruger Product line..........I "suggested" that to WBR at an annual NRA meeting when I tended bar in his Ruger Hospitality Suite....he rejected my suggestion rudely, I thought, adding "we make enough other damn 22's".......
a
jowdurt

Post by jowdurt »

Is it possible to have a tapered bolt that is only one piece. The dead giveaway for a two piece bolt is the "D" shaped imprint on the back of the bolt. A picture of that with the right light angle would verify it is a two piece to me.

Steve Vaughn
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Hawkeye28 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 pm JMO........the T514 should never been removed from the Ruger Product line..........I "suggested" that to WBR at an annual NRA meeting when I tended bar in his Ruger Hospitality Suite....he rejected my suggestion rudely, I thought, adding "we make enough other damn 22's".......
a
I think the T514 is a great configuration and should have been retained too. Perhaps you should have poured WBR a triple and gotten him lubricated before you expressed your desire. Sometimes a drunk is more receptive... Or combative.... We will never know in this case now will we....
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Theo, very nice examples of BOTH , really like them,,,you did GOOD...keep in mind the T-514 you have is a two piece (pressed on tab) and if you decide to shoot ,,,,limit the use, those bolts DO come apart, when shooting.....you can always install a later ONE piece bolt for actual usage and no worry....when we had the shop years ago, we changed a few of them,, and the factory back then would replace it for "free" but no longer do it and you did not get back the original bolt !!!! knew a guy sent his in, they replaced it, and he was out the "collectible originality"...caveat emptor
same goes for the earlier than your type 2, as yours has the recoil spring support, the early bolt, all in the white, you could break the firing pin quite easily...

Again, you got two gems, take care of them..............
and Hawkeye is SPOT ON, the "old man" (WBR) would tell you like it was, my wife found out also years ago when she was an RCA Field Rep,late 80's early 90's.....ah, the stories :roll:
theo98

Post by theo98 »

jowdurt wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 am Is it possible to have a tapered bolt that is only one piece. The dead giveaway for a two piece bolt is the "D" shaped imprint on the back of the bolt. A picture of that with the right light angle would verify it is a two piece to me.

Steve Vaughn
Steve,

I'm not sure if "1-piece tapered bolt ears" exist, but seems I've read before it does?! Hopefully another member can verify one way or the other. :?:

In my collections, all three of my 4 ridged tapered bolt ear Rugers are 2-Piece, display the typical attachment seam between the cylintrical bolt/ears and have the typical "D" shaped arbor appearing on the back of the bolt [53' T514 (1st 3 pics), 53' Standard (4th pic), 86' SS Standard (5th pic)]! :!:

Ted
Ruger MkI T514  1953 2-Piece Bolt.JPG
Ruger MkI T514 1953 2-Piece Bolt-2.JPG
Ruger MkI T514 1953 2-Piece Bolt-3.JPG
Ruger 1953 RS4 Standard 2-Piece Bolt.JPG
Ruger MkII MK6 Standard 1986 2-Piece Bolt.JPG
Last edited by theo98 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
jowdurt

Post by jowdurt »

That is great info and even better images of the two-piece bolt. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Good job highlighting the D shaped machining on the rear of the bolt.

Thanks theo98.

Steve Vaughn
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

theo98 thank you for posting the tapered bolt pictures. I can see where the repeated firing would seperate the 2 pieces. A friend of mine has an early vintage KMK4 that ended up with bolt failure. Ruger repaired it for him and he is happy with the results. I was not there when the bolt failed but can imagine the look on his face as the ears popped loose.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
theo98

Post by theo98 »

Thanks Steve & WT!

I'm checking with Dennis W. ( SGW ) to see if his 2-piece bolt service can be applied to all 3 of mine (1-Blued Std, 1 Blued MkI, 1-SS MkII KMK6)! :idea:

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

As we have noted..........The T514 should have never left the offering list from the factory! :roll: