MKIV Hammer

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
RocDoc

MKIV Hammer

Post by RocDoc »

Looking at a Volquartsen MKIII target hammer: can this be used in a MKIV if the hammer strut is substituted or are there other differences I can't see in a picture?
theo98

Re: MKIV Hammer

Post by theo98 »

RocDoc wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:51 pm Looking at a Volquartsen MKIII target hammer: can this be used in a MKIV if the hammer strut is substituted or are there other differences I can't see in a picture?
RD,

Received my MkIVs (Hunter and 22/45 Lite) 2 years ago for target shooting...not happy with their OOB 5.25# and 5.75# pulls.:x Back then, VQ had their MkIV Sear+Disconnector in a partial kit (VC4TSD). I kept the MKIV hammer and bushing, used the TK Blast Shield to replace the mag disconnect and dropped in the TK flat faced trigger & all became right with the world...Almost! Although I obtained minimal total travel (3/32") and low pulls (Hunter=1.25#, Lite-1.6#), I had a little creep on both before the sear would drop the hammer. I obtained MkIII hammers (struts came with them) to accurize on, but discovered their notch was just .023" (the MkIV Hammer notch measures .033")! Before I did any custom work, I dropped in the MkIII hammers with a VQ bushing and All Creep Went Away!! :mrgreen:

Due to my ZERO CREEP achievement, I did add a drop of JB Weld to the safety's hook to "stop any forward sear travel" (when the trigger is pulled against the locked On sear), now all action/safety works superbly!! Both of my MKIVs (Hunter & 22/45 Lite) have the MkIII hammers in them and both have IMHO, excellent overall Target Actions for punching bulls eyes!!! 8-)

Although not a "collectors" topic, we both Are Ruger Owners! ;)
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!