A little help for a newbie please

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

A little help for a newbie please

Post by Rickkling »

This is my first post on this site, so I’ll make it something that ought to be easy for some of you.
I just purchased a red eagle with a 2 piece grip medallion.
How can you tell?
Fox Mike

Re: A little help for a newbie please

Post by Fox Mike »

How can you tell what?
Frank
Retired: 67Z5M
NRA
Maryland Shall Issue
TEMIII

Post by TEMIII »

First step would be to reference the serial # to determine what "type" Red Eagle you have. Two piece medallions were phased out with the Type 3's but do appear in the Type 4's. If yours is a higher Type #, it is unlikely that you have a two piece medallion.

It is always the case that someone could have switched older grip panels to a newer gun.

The two piece construction was made by soldering the stem (tube) to the medallion itself by putting a drop of solder through the tube.

For more detailed info you should reference Chad Hiddleson's, Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols * 1949-1992.
jowdurt

Post by jowdurt »

Serial number info is good to determine if a two piece is appropriate for the gun but I am guessing Rickking is looking for information on how to look at the front and back of the medallion/grip and determine if it is two piece or one piece. Are they thicker, offset, is the emblem different. Detailed pictures with description would help.

Steve Vaughn
theo98

Post by theo98 »

Rickkling wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:31 pm This is my first post on this site, so I’ll make it something that ought to be easy for some of you.
I just purchased a red eagle with a 2 piece grip medallion.
How can you tell?
IME, the two piece "Red Eagle" is painted On the silver medallion surface, thus it is flush with the surface of the emblem, known to become yellow over time, with many having detached from the penetrating stem (set-in the grip panel hole) that it was solder to (found in Type 1, 1a & 2).

The newer single piece "Red Eagle" medallion (starting w/Type 3) has a thicker surface with a recessed Eagle figure that has been painted in.

As has been stated, posted pics with SN should point to which medallion you have! :!:

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

Well, let me start by apologizing. I did make that question a bit vague!
My question was how to tell if it is a 2 piece medallion. It doesn’t seem obvious to me.
The serial number is 9327, which chad hiddlesons book says has a 2 piece medallion.
I haven’t taken the grips off, so I haven’t looked at the backside.
I have no idea how to post pics on this site, but I’m sure I could be walked through it.
Thanks for the responses
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Easy to post pics, when you are making a post just scroll down and click on Attachments, then click on Add Files. That takes you to the pictures on your computer or phone. No need to use a host sight unless you just want to.
Bill
theo98

Post by theo98 »

RL,

You should have a Ruger Pistol Red Eagle Type IV (one of the rarest) with either the 1 or 2 piece grip medallion and a flat muzzle, mnf. Oct, 1950! :mrgreen:

Does the Red Eagle appear flush with the medallion silver background (2-piece), or does it appear recessed into the medallion (1-piece)?

Bill's "post pics" directions also works for me (max "5" per post)! ;)

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

Thanks bill and ted! (Ill spare y’all the movie references!😊)
I only briefly “fondled” the gun before putting it in the safe, but I do remember the emblem being smooth compared to all the other ones I have. You can feel the indentation in those.
Im at work now, but I can confirm tonight
These are pics I took for my records. ( they are blown up screen shots, but decent none the less)
Thank you again for your help guys!
Rick
079E3D3B-132E-41B0-94CC-38230E835BCB.jpeg
A91960A7-4811-4683-A7A4-A028CC4FC709.jpeg
theo98

Post by theo98 »

Yep, and the Adventures Continue! :roll: :lol:

Rick, Looks to me that you do have a Type IV with the 2-piece medallion (flush Eagle, edge yellowing). Great pics, looking forward to the big enchilada (err, Ruger Pistol pics)!! :mrgreen:

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!