Ruger Standard Pistol

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
d findley

Re: Ruger Standard Pistol

Post by d findley »

Serial number 8 went to Field & Stream's firearms editor Warren Page.
Attachments
8zx.JPG
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Don do you have #8 as well?
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
d findley

Post by d findley »

When I started collecting Rugers no one was interested in the auto pistols. As collections were bought, I was offered the .22 auto Rugers. Most were interested in Flattops & Hawkeyes. Warren Page's Ruger collection consisted of serial number 13 hand guns. I was offered this Standard pistol with no visible serial number. I took it apart and WOW it was hand stamped internally 8.
Attachments
8.jpg
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Oh my, what a score.
Bill
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Don, that is amazing, but I can just picture Mr. Ruger taking the gun from an employee at a work bench and telling them to just apply #8 somewhere and he carried the gun out and presented it to the new owner. No sense of concern where the serial number was applied! You have a real "one gun display" with this one! You scored well as a collector. Brass Frame/Lee E
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

flattop44 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:16 pm Oh my, what a score.
Bill
What Bill said!! The auto is where it really started and is a favorite of mine as well though I will never have as fine a collection as many of you. I just wonder how many other early Ruger autos are out there lurking in a drawer or cabinet somewhere? I am sure a lot were well used from some of the examples I have seen. Bill Ruger built them to be used and not babied. A big thanks to all that show them to us! The ROCS is a great bunch of people and I really enjoy being a member.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Another great piece of history, thanks for sharing, as said before never know what you might find when it comes to Ruger you never know what you'll find. Have you ever heard of another Ruger that has this done?
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
d findley

Post by d findley »

Ruger .22 pistols serial number 1 thru 8 were all had serial numbers hand stamped internally. The ninth pistol was machine marked 0009 (on the exterior). Numbers went froward from there.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Another amazing part of Ruger history from Mr. Findley.
Thank you for posting...........

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker