Old "Beater" finds a new home

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
DenStinett

Old "Beater" finds a new home

Post by DenStinett »

I've been looking for a good ol' "Tackle / Tool Box" Gun for a while
And I settle on this:
A well used, 1990 M-03002, P85 (non MkII):

I believe it was a "Range Gun" at the Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ
It came "AS IS" with the one 15 Rd Mag ( pictured on the right) and the Hogue Grips
I bought the two additional, 17 Rd Mec-Gar Mags from MidwayUSA
These are what Midway called "Blemished" .... $22.90 as opposed to them "new" at $25.99
The only thing I could find wrong with them; was the Plastic Packaging was crumpled ! BIG WOOP ! ! !
Haven't had it out yet, but I did Fieldstrip it, and it was (mostly) clean, with an "OK" Bore

This thing's a TANK !
Weighs in at 2.5 lbs, loaded with 15+1 147gr HSHPs :o
The Grip feels as natural as my CZs
And the Natural Point; is as close to dead-on as anyone could ask for

The Trigger ? WELL, as anyone that has experience with these knows; IT ATROCIOUS ! ! !
But it does have its good points ....
The Double Action Trigger is a very consistent 10 pounds
The Trigger Reach is: 2.975", with a lite 0.130" Take-up before you start the "pull"
It breaks clean, after a 0.585" pull, at 2.260"
And 0.045" of Overtravel ..... not too bad, RIGHT ?
In Single Action, its Trigger Pull averages a very clean 4.75 pounds .... that seems OK to me; for a "Service" Pistol
A Reach of 2.660" and a lite Take-up of 0.370" before you hit the (very obvious) "Wall" at 2.290" .... seems quite a ways !
But when you're there, another 0.030" and 4.75 pounds, it breaks super clean at 2.260", with the same 0.045" of Over Travel, as in DA
The Reset seems "forever"; 0.325" at 2.540", and you start all over
Other than accuracy (which we'll test later); so far it checks-out, and should fill its intended Roll
Let me know what y'all think

Be safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the 8 years before HIM !
gunman42782

Re: Old "Beater" finds a new home

Post by gunman42782 »

I have always believe the P series pistols to be the most under-rated pistols ever made. I have owned several over the years, own two now, and I have never, that I can remember, have had the first stoppage. I have heard people complain about the size of them, but they are no bigger than Sigs, HK, and other of that time period.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member