ROCS Mark IV questions

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Papa181

ROCS Mark IV questions

Post by Papa181 »

I have acquired a Mark IV competition marked ROCS2-02x. It is a blue model competition with pretty fancy grips. The handgun is in the box with the papers. The tag is still in the trigger guard and by all indications it is unfired. There is a Turnbull card in the box, but it does not have the distinctive Turnbull finish. I cannot find anything like it for sale. The only Mark IV competition models I have seen are stainless. So, a couple of questions:

What is it?
What is a ball park value on it?
Is it a collecting piece or a shooter?

It is beautiful, but most of my collection is more utilitarian. Any information will be appreciated.
Attachments
17124009-3959-41CC-B437-C4E90A88A76F.jpeg
RoninPA

Re: ROCS Mark IV questions

Post by RoninPA »

There will be others come along and give you even more info but I'll start it.

The finish was done by Turnbull, ROCS had them specially made by Ruger for us (thus the ROCS serial number). Two were made, one blued (ROCS2-xxx s/n) and one color case hardened (ROCS1-xxx s/n), both done by Turnbull and in most case were sold as a set. There were certificates issued by Turnbull for each gun made for us. There were only 100-125 made of each finish and that was it. ROCS members got first dibs and they sold pretty quickly.

Are the shooters or collectors? That's up to the individual owner. Mine are on display in my shop (I run a small gunsmithing business) with my other special edition ROCS guns (a specially made Bearcat with a ROCS-xxx s/n and a special 60th Anniversary Super Blackhawk with a ROCS-xxx s/n).

As for a ballpark value, I really couldn't tell you. I think for us ROCS members who bought them they are probably priceless. I Would I part with mine - maybe, but it would be for a LOT of money :D

As I said, others will chime in and give you even more info about them and the other ROCS guns.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron