Setting Up My Ruger Mark IVs For Steel Challenge

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
AzShooter

Setting Up My Ruger Mark IVs For Steel Challenge

Post by AzShooter »

I've been shooting Steel Challenge for over 30 years with my Ruger Mark III and a C-More Railway red dot sight with 12 MOA dot. I have the same setup on my Mark IVs, one being a Volquarten upgraded model called the Black Mamba.

I just decided to try Rim Fire Pistol Iron to broaden out my shooting abilities.

I took off my Railways and added fiber optic sights. The OEM from Volquartsen and another from Dawson Precision for the Mark IV 22/45 Lite with 5.5 inch Target barrel that I got from the Volquartsen Bargain Bin where I also bought a 10 inch barrel.

I've been practicing for the past two weeks with these setups and I'm very pleased. I actually enjoy shooting the fiber optic sights and am doing surprisingly better. I focus on the front sight and can call my hits faster that with the dot. Most people find the dots faster. I have two weeks before my first match this way and am hoping to beat my fastest time with optics. I have two matches in the next three weeks so that I can see if I enjoy it more or want to go back to Rim Fire Pistol Open.
RocDoc

Re: Setting Up My Ruger Mark IVs For Steel Challenge

Post by RocDoc »

What do you think about the Mamba? Volquartsen ocassionally has those uppers on clearance and I have thought about trying one.
AzShooter

Post by AzShooter »

It's a great idea. There are now two different uppers available from Volquartsen. There is the one with the upper and lower rail and they just released one drilled and tapped for a number of red dot sight that isn't set up for iron sights at all.

I like the one I have. It gives me the opportunity to switch back and fourth. Check out Brownell's and see if they have it on sale. It's nice for steel matches because the transition from target to target is much smoother. It's about the same weight as my Lite barrel but has better balance.

I think it's worth the money.
theo98

Post by theo98 »

AzShooter wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:19 pmI've been practicing for the past two weeks with these setups and I'm very pleased. I actually enjoy shooting the fiber optic sights and am doing surprisingly better. I focus on the front sight and can call my hits faster that with the dot. Most people find the dots faster. I have two weeks before my first match this way and am hoping to beat my fastest time with optics. I have two matches in the next three weeks so that I can see if I enjoy it more or want to go back to Rim Fire Pistol Open.
Hi Steven,

Welcome to the ROCS forums! :D

Although I have RDR scopes on my MkIV's, I also really do enjoy shooting iron sights on my Ruger Standards (fixed) and my MkI/MkII Targets (adjustable)! Point-ability, target acquisition, balance and ease of holstering seem just faster and easier! However with the Venom setups, can quickly switch to iron sights and back on my MkIV Hunter and 22/45 Lite (usually just stay with the RDR for punching bullseyes). ;)

Ted
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!