What are they made of?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

What are they made of?

Post by Rickkling »

I named the post intentionally because I knew it would would pique everyone’s curiosity!
I am working on a “project” gun (mkII gov. Target) and want to mill a dovetail into the back of the bolt for a charging handle (the same ones used for the CZ parrot).
Now, before anyone replies chastising me for such a sacrilege as to modify a government target, it had been modified prior to my owning it so it seemed to be the best candidate for my build.
My question is, what is the bolt made of? Have they changed over the years, models, etc...? If so, I have MkIV, MKII and standard bolts that can be used in this project.
My gunsmith isn’t sure it can be milled due to hardness. If it can’t, tandemkross as a suitable charging handle, but once I get an idea in my head, I have to see it through or it will drive me nuts!
Thanks for listening and sorry to bait y’all with the subject line!
Watertender

Re: What are they made of?

Post by Watertender »

Try machining an extra bolt to see how it works for you. Many years ago I drilled and tapped the rear of a bolt on an RST4 and installed a 8/32 eyebolt in the center of the bolt to allow a 1 handed man to be able to use the pistol. He used a HKS loader to pull the magazine follower down to load it. I am glad I was able to help him
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

The fact that you have drilled and tapped one gives me hope!
I have a “sacrificial” bolt for this stage of the project.
I’m taking it to my gunsmith buddy in the morning, so I’m keeping
My fingers crossed.
Thank you for the reply.
I’ll post an update once it done.
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

I never did get an answer as to the type of metal the bolts are made of, but I can now tell you that it’s very hard. It may be made of un-obtainium😊
My machinist broke a endmill and quickly dulled a dovetail bit. But it turned out great!
Now, don’t chastise me for “modifying” a gov. Target, it was already butchered when I got it.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Pictures, we want pics of your mod.
Bill
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

Well bill, here they are
It’s a MKII government target. And before anyone chastises me for butchering
A GT, the frame had already been modified and someone attempted to install
A rail on the receiver, so it’s collector value was gone when I got it and what a great
Platform to build from, right?
Yes, it’s a MKII, the mag release is a 1911 release! The barrel was milled and dimpled. Then
Threaded. All of the internals that can be replaced are volquartsen. As is the trigger, safety and bolt catch. The bolt is a MKIV that was dovetailed for a charging handle (my favorite part) and fitted with volquartsen extractor and firing pin. The mount for the vortex is a mad macs precision.
The comp is TacSol, And the last edition was the grips, custom done by lance schofield at LS grips. (He did the checkering in a pattern I requested, and had them to me in 3 days! Really nice guy too!
Attachments
A74A8F17-BE69-490C-932B-A9A74B94CC82.jpeg
667B0B87-058F-4A7E-836D-438F0CDC264E.jpeg
B2A23618-4C82-435D-BC60-52FAE5CBE7BD.jpeg
474FC2AB-88C3-4565-AF33-B9E846CAFFE7.jpeg
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Rickkling,

Chastise you for making a super cool gun out of a ruined one?!?!?!???
NO WAY.
What a cool project 8-)
The best part of collecting is doing what you want.
Good for you. I love it.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Rickkling I have to agree with JAYDAWG. It turned out great. I am glad you were able to get it made into something totally yours. Your machinist did a nice job. Did he say if the bolt was difficult to machine? I very carefully drilled and tapped the bolt on the RST4 I worked on for the guy with 1 hand. I don't know where that pistol is or I would post a picture to show you how it looks.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Really a cool looking pistol, thanks for letting us see it. Bet it shoots as good as it looks.
Bill
d findley

Post by d findley »

Rick, That is a really great looking pistol! Thanks for sharing.