Rugers/Made in China/Japan?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

Re: Rugers/Made in China?

Post by Rickkling »

I noticed some odd things in the diagram including what looks like tubes by the barrel and the magazine.
I did a quick google search and found airsoft guns just like these pictures by the same manufacturer!
A bull barrel and a tapered barrel version. This might explain the tubes (for the airsoft pellets) and the “gas” reference.
Maybe they were airsoft guns all along?
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

It would be interesting to get that piece of literature translated.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
d findley

Post by d findley »

The pistol the guys had on display was .22 L.R. caliber.
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

I don’t doubt that one bit since China will copy anything they can!
I’ve never understood how they get away with copying something, then
Using the actual name of the company they copy!
I’m in the car audio business, and we have seen it for years!
And believe me don, I would NEVER doubt you!😊
themousethatroared

Post by themousethatroared »

I think I can shed a little light on this one.
It looks a little less sinister than suggested.
The text of the brochure is in Japanese.
The company name is Marushin. They are located in Saitama, Japan, just north of Tokyo.
They have some English language pages on their website, which is at "marushin-kk dot co dot jp" .

Japan has very restrictive firearms laws. But allows pellet and bb guns. They get very serious about hobbies and are willing to spend lots of money. And they have a lot of creative and skilled people in the toy and collectable sector anxious to cater to those interests. A firearm enthusiast in Japan is pretty much limited to bb and pellet guns. They have grown a pretty large industry that makes hyper realistic pellet and bb guns. Marushin looks like one of the bigger names. They make a lot of replicas of well known pistols, including the Ruger Mk pistols. I would bet that these are licensed by Ruger and that the two companies have a pretty good relationship with each other.

I do not have any experience with the products, but based on looking at some of the product photos, it looks like they have developed little individual pressurized gas canisters that are the size of a round of ammunition. The canister appears to hold the pellet, and fits into the pistol just like a round of ammunition. Pulling the trigger releases the pressurized gas and propels the pellet down the barrel. So it functions like a gunpowder firearm, without the gunpowder.

There is another peculiar connection between Ruger and Japan. They have a popular manga comic book series and anime movie series called "Cowboy Bebop", in which one of the main characters carries a Ruger P85 pistol. There are some home made and mass produced models, most often seen as accessories for cosplay costumes at comic conventions. That seems like one of the bigger pop culture references to the Ruger P Series pistols.