Found a nice SS Mk. II and, well, you know!!!

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
bruce

Found a nice SS Mk. II and, well, you know!!!

Post by bruce »

Was walking around the local pawn shop and found a nice 4" pencil barrel SS Mk. II. Handling marks, etc. Pretty black grips w/ that black Ruger eagle. Ser. No. 211-298XX which I think puts it in 1985. One magazine that shows about no use.

The pistol was priced at $ 500 plus tax. Offered to sell it for $ 500 OTD. I got to jaw jacking with the staff and the owner walked over, got to laughing at the jokes. I asked him if he could do any better on the price. Got the pistol and a Boyd case for 428 OTD. Paid for it with $345 of gifts cards that I had found in my chest of drawers. Needed to use them before they were beyond the expiration date. I don't know if that is a good price or not. Have not seen one in a local store in a very long time.

Will clean the pistol tomorrow morning. It will be next week before I can even think about a range report. Late last night I was called to the home of one of my church members. Their 22 yr. old son took his life. Unbelievably tragic and sad.
flattop44

Re: Found a nice SS Mk. II and, well, you know!!!

Post by flattop44 »

Sounds like you had a fun time dealing and ended up with a good deal. Looking forward to a range report.
FT44
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Bruce, sorry to hear about your church member losing their son to suicide. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Please be careful with your new to you Mark 2 SS pistol. The original run of KMK pistols have a tapered ear 2-piece bolt that can fail. My friend Leon had the ears fly off of his KMK4 several years ago and had to get a new bolt for it. He was not hurt but it sure surprised him.
Attachments
2 piece bolt.jpg
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
bruce

Post by bruce »

Thank you for the heads up about the bolt. This particular pistol shows handling marks, etc., but I seriously doubt it has had a lot of range or field use. Will keep an eye on the bolt as I have every intention to shoot this pistol till my hand falls off!!! Seriously I have long wanted one of these standard pattern Mk. II pistols but always came up short of money when one was available. This time around, happily the availability of the pistol and my money equated to a happy seller and a very happy buyer. Sincerely. bruce.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Just a brief range report. Given that Hurricane Ian had departed and that my wife was coming south with our 7 yr. old grandson in the back seat, I ran over to the local range on Friday to do a little bit of shooting. I took my new to me Standard Auto and my new to me SS Mk. II. Only had a hour to do any shooting. On target results were very good. As demonstrated by previous shooting, the Ruger Standard Auto functioned superbly. On target results were all anyone could ask shooting at various steel targets out to 25 yds. The new to me SS Mk. II was if anything a smidgen better! Started one handed at 15 yds. 20 shots went into a little group of slightly over 1.5 inches. I was aiming at a bolt hole in the lower portion of the plate. Found out that a number of shots when in that hole. Wonderful. Moved on out to 25 yds. Ammo did not have enough zap to flip the little paddle. However by watching the pattern made in the paint it was easy to see that the pistol was very well zeroed for the CCI Mini-Mags that I was using. Now all I need to do is find a couple of the magazines for the pistol. Do I need to look for blued steal or stainless steel magazines. Is the bottom emblem a red eagle or ... what? Sincerely. bruce.