Single Six # 22

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
O M CRAZY

Re: Single Six # 22

Post by O M CRAZY »

Rugerguy....Thank you for the information. Although I can't remember ever seeing any like that, but if I had I would of passed on them thinking they were not original. If the material on the stags was to thick to set the crimp how did they set them in ,Glue??
O M CRAZY
chet15

Post by chet15 »

OM Crazy, be sure to check out the comments in the other thread on Single-Six #14 as they also apply to #22 I.M.O.
Chet15
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The very first ivory grip panels, a total of six pair, were made by J.L. Galef, and those meds are actually closer to the front and higher up than the Single-Six med positions. These grips were put on the six letter prototype Single-Sixes as Ruger didn't have any of the checkered black hard rubber yet. I have seen pictures of five of the six letter prototypes, and all are identical.
Chet15
d findley

Post by d findley »

During that time with Walt, John and I were "pumping" him for any bit of info we could get. He said those ivories for the alphabet Single Sixes were sent to Ruger with the holes for the medallions already drilled. Walt actually installed the medallions himself.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

More good info!! Great stuff!
Was thinking there was a pic somewhere that JD posted once of the invoice from J.L. Galef that listed the six sets of ivory that ended up being used for the six alphabet guns. Was thinking that invoice said "medallions installed", or something like that so my memory is slipping. Maybe John can post another pic of that invoice? Would be interesting for all of ROCS to see it anyway.
Chad
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Sadly several years ago I sold #21 RSS......may be a blessing since I didn't have to buy #22 RSS...

I have to be happy with #59 which has the original box and split top shipper.....RR
chet15

Post by chet15 »

#21 went to writer Lucian Cary as I remember.
Chet15
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

chet15 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:05 am #21 went to writer Lucian Cary as I remember.
Chet15
Yes that is correct.....then it went to the Potato Farmer......I believe he still has it....RR
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Donnie, do you have the gun or can actually "see" it?? the early medallions for the autos at that time as well as the first Single Sixes, were of a "satin" finish on the chrome around the black eagle........... ;)
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Kudos to you Dan for that tutorial..........BTW, please note the SATIN finish on the silver in those emblems. These are the first generation emblem's dull unpolished silver finish. Never present in walnut panels, and always present in the early black rubber grip panels.