Need Help

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
bruce

Need Help

Post by bruce »

Rain was pouring this morning. I was sitting around playing w/ my Ruger OM SA. Converted to the new lock work. That's the way I bought it. Beautiful little .38/.357 SA revolver. Went to cock the revolver in the normal way. Hammer fell w/o me pulling the trigger. Anyone have any ideas about what to do? I have a set of the old model parts and had been thinking about going ahead and installing these parts. Still, never taken a Ruger SA apart. Would like to know what is wrong. Sincerely. bruce.
flattop44

Re: Need Help

Post by flattop44 »

Google Ruger Single Action Revolver Disambly and you can find Utube videos of the process. Its fairly simple.
FT44
contender

Post by contender »

I'd swap the conversion parts out & put that OM back to "as shipped" condition. Just remember,, after you do,,, "Load one, Skip one, Load four, full cock, then carefully lower the hammer on the empty chamber.
bruce

Post by bruce »

For more years that I care to remember, I've wanted a nice OM Ruger BH, however when I had enough money, I couldn't find a nice revolver and, when I didn't have the money it seemed like deals came along that I had to pass up. When the hammer went down w/o the trigger being pulled, I was worried that some how I might have done some kind of extreme harm to my revolver. I was also concerned about how involved might be the process of repair.

Got to get back to church for the youth group and then a choir meeting. As soon as I get home, I fully intend to get busy with YouTube to find out exactly what tools, etc. are needed for making this repair. Thank God I've got the parts on hand that will not just make possible the repair but that will allow this BH to be returned to its original condition. Thank you for the helpful replies. Based on the responses, it looks like I'll be able to do the work myself. Sincerely. bruce.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Tools you need are a correct size hollow ground shrew driver and a paper clip.
FT44
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

hope the "parts" you have are from THAT gun as any others, they may affect the timing, lock up and if you have a problem NOW, without the transfer bar 'safety' in place ,next time the gun may go bang.....
a few things to look at , see "why" it did what it did.........safety first ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's a saying... If you can't be good, best be lucky! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am only a fair to middling fixer of firearms. Mostly I can replace parts, etc. But, I must still be able to channel the spirit of Ruger b/c some how or other, I managed to get my Ruger SA straightened out. I was doing a little bit of thoughtful fiddling, cocking the action while listening to how everything was moving and I got a idea. I removed the cylinder ... closed the loading gate ... and cocked the hammer. Wonder of wonders ... it locked. Held the hammer and pulled the trigger and it worked as normal. Replaced the cylinder and cycled the action ... no problems! Maybe it saw the potential of me drawing close with a selection of screw drivers, a little bag of parts and some Youtube videos and decided to fix itself rather than letting me start into a little bit of Gunsmithing 101!!! I don't know. But, it's now working just fine. I cannot seem to find any way to make it not work correctly. Have absolutely no idea what was wrong. Just thrilled that it is now right! Sincerely. bruce.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Happy to hear that you have it working.
FT44
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

sounds like a plan, yes you can "jam" lock up, an action by short stroking or other "half a$$" stopping in the middle of the stream, or even dirt ,crude ,old dried up oil ( gunk" sticky springs and on and on,,yes taking it down a bit and working the action can and does help,,,so does a bit a oil here and there, I like to use 'kroil' cause it can actually GO UP the face fo the hammer into the hammer spring portion, lower right side of the hammer, free things up.....good luck and enjoy ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

I am thrilled that it is back to working order. Now I have time to buy correct screw drivers and do some reading and watching of Youtube videos so that I can avoid a lot of foolish errors when I sit down a install the three screw lockwork set that I have waiting in a little brown paper envelope. Sincerely. bruce.