Factory Grip Education

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Rugerologist

Factory Grip Education

Post by Rugerologist »

All, I'm curious to know how you tell a set of original factory grips from well-crafted aftermarkets if no box or paperwork from the factory is present. From time to time I see Ruger grips for sale at gun shows etc. Some of them are quite "pretty". I've generally stayed away though because I just don't know enough about them to make an educated decision. I know that some of you in the do collect them though. When considering grips, how do you evaluate them and what do you look for? Additionally, if replacing grips tastefully, does this generally hurt or help the value of a factory original and do you always keep the originals with the parent pistol.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
ElNumeroUno

Re: Factory Grip Education

Post by ElNumeroUno »

I think it makes a difference in whether you are talking about collectors vs. shooters. First, I always keep the grips that came with the Ruger regardless. For my shooters, I have replaced several grips with aftermarkets. For my collectors, only Factory stag, or ivory, is the only worthwhile replacement. I don't know how to tell the difference with the myriad of replacement grips on the market today. I guess I should add that I am not over run with Factory ivories, just having one set. I do have my fair share of stags, having pursued them diligently for over 30 years
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I'll be happy to show you a few sets of different grips when in Tulsa. Point out what I look for in an attempt to validate factory vs not. Agree with ElNumeroUno about keeping original grip with the gun. And I must say that years ago ElNumeroUno taught me a whole lot about what to look for in factory stags and ivories.
FT44
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you, both! Wonderful replies. I look forward to learning what I can from you in Tulsa Flattop! I only know what I like thus far regarding the topic and have no stags or ivories. Very few extra grips actually. I have my tastes and appreciate what I consider to be pretty woods and grains. Some woods appear very similar though and I have been fooled before on some Duck calls. I thought that they were Walnut....have seen a little bit of Walnut! Come to find out it was Goncalo Alves which explained the price difference. With medallions present, no box, and a good fit, I could be easily fooled.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I picked up a small box of grips today. The lady only wanted $20 for all of these so I couldn't say no. 14 Pairs. Online, some say the Jay Scott grips don't fit right, are rough, etc. They needed a little rub down but are rather pretty in person. Please let me know what ya think.
Attachments
IMG-0707.JPG
IMG-0706.JPG
IMG-0702.JPG
IMG-0703.JPG
IMG-0699.JPG
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

$20 for 14 sets of grips, I would say that you hit a homer. Most J SCOTT for Ruger single actions seem to fit pretty good.
FT44
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you. I helped her move a bunch of things around in her shop/shooting range so she cut me a good deal. Plus we were neighbors for a few years. I was just happy to help out in the shop and handle some guns.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

$20.00 for all those grips is a real bargain! It is hard to explain how to tell original Ruger stag and ivory without have a pair to show you. Flattop 44 can show you when you are in Tulsa better than can be explained here.

O M CRAZY
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Three of the grips (the rounded top ones) will be for 150- serial number Six series DA revolvers. The others (curved pointy top and oversized) will be for 151- and up s/n Six series guns. What a great buy (or should I say steal :D ), probably about $400 worth of grips for $20
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I didn't expect to have had such a bargain although my back would disagree. There were some doubles of some of these that I left with her. Will go back and ensure that I didn't miss any and make her more aware of what she's got. Some of the boxes are marked. I'll post those soon. Ronin, I really appreciate that information!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber