SS loose screw

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
JAYDAWG

SS loose screw

Post by JAYDAWG »

In the previous thread "some neat paper" Ruger is sending a customer a new screw for his single six and states that the loosening of this screw has been "a perennial problem with revolvers of this type"
Curious if anyone knows which screw was the "perennial problem" and how and when did Ruger fix it?

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Hawkeye28

Re: SS loose screw

Post by Hawkeye28 »

In my case, and I suspect many, "IT" was the screw holding the ejector rod housing............ :o
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Ruger introduced and began using "Nyloc" screws with their Super Blackhawks in 1959. The screws have a red colored rubber type material on the threads that helps prevent the screws from lossening and backing out.
FT44
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

I think Watertender would be the expert on loose screws cause I think he has some :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

zebra55 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm I think Watertender would be the expert on loose screws cause I think he has some :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks!! Actually broken bolts or screws or studs are a specialty of mine.. I have removed literally thousands of them thru the years... People amaze me when they tighten things to the breaking point but I made a lot of money fixing their idiocy.
The ejector rod screw would be a good bet as the loose one because I know a couple of people that have lost that particular screw from their single action Ruger revolvers....
When I got my Journeyman's Papers an old timer told me he could tell if I was a Journeyman with 1 question and he asked me to describe a 10-32 Screw..... I told him "It's a machine screw .190" in diameter with 32 threads per inch....
He told me.... "No.... It's a little piece 28 minutes before the news"....
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

zebra55 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm I think Watertender would be the expert on loose screws cause I think he has some :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Funny, I was thinking of WT when I wrote the subject line! :lol:

The EJ rod screw makes sense, and thread lockers are widely used now but I was curious
as to when Ruger started using it, the fact FT44 knew the year & model when they started
is cool.
I have said it before, I am constantly amazed by the knowledge of folks on this forum!

WT, it took me awhile , but you must be talking about the 11 o'clock news.... ;)
Thanks for the reply's

JAY
Mike722

Post by Mike722 »

I've seen a few missing the grip frame screw forward of the trigger guard too...
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Yes the 11 o'clock news! That particular mentor forgot more about machinery than most know. He did 20 years with the US Navy as a Machinery Repairman working mostly on Aircraft Carriers and Submarine Tenders... We were friends for many years until his death in 2012. I have his 1983 vintage 10/22 which is one of my most prized possessions. It's a run of the mill 10/22 bought from Montgomery Ward but priceless to me
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

WT,
Funny how a "run of the mill" gun can mean so much because of who it came from.
I would bet everyone one here has a similar story.
Cheers,
JAY