Ruger Super Blackhawk wood box

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Seatbelts

Ruger Super Blackhawk wood box

Post by Seatbelts »

So my dad was helping clean out my uncles garage and he found these two wood gun boxes up in the small attic portion. Apparently they were left from the previous owner who had died a long time ago, and since they didn't have any guns in them my uncle told my Dad to keep them. He had no clue what guns were supposed to go in either so he asked me to look into it, and I recognized the Ruger Blackhawk by name but had never seen a wood box for them either. I was able to identify the Blue felt box as I guess a N frame S&W but I was far more interested in the Ruger box but finding anything out has been challenging. I was told to check you guys out and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. My Dad wants to sell them but neither of us have a clue on whats a fair market value.

I apologize if this isn't the right place, I'm guessing the year of the box by what little I was able to find out about it.

Hawkeye28

Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk wood box

Post by Hawkeye28 »

The blue lined box is, from what I see, a large frame(N) S&W box from the 70's. Would be a $200-300 box out in the big market, if the box is not marked up or damaged. The plastic forms are fragile and damage to them is also a detractor to value.
The redlined box is for a standard frame Super Blackhawk in the 1 to 4,000 SN range(tho some guns appear in later SN's due to boxes not taken by original purchasers) It appears unused and is in the $400 to 500 range for this condition, assuming undamaged box and a serious "need" by those seeking this box.....I like this box as it appears to not have had a SBH stored in it!
Other opinions welcome............Splitz
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Hello Seatbelt

I concur with Hawkeye28 his information is accurate on both the models and the price range. I've sent you a private message for the purchase of the Ruger Super Blackhawk Mahogany Box. I'm always looking for Super Blackhawks in the 1 to 5000 range and I would appreciate the opportunity to own your SBH Mahogany box. You can reach me at genelinks@hotmail.com.

Smith & Wesson
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-W ... 2761509810?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-Presentati ... 2903578611?_

Sturm & Ruger
https://www.gunsamerica.com/991497715/R ... 4-Digi.htm
Last edited by LIBERTY FOREVER on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I agree with both Hawkeye and Liberty, nice Super mahogany box and the $400-500 value.
FT44
Seatbelts

Post by Seatbelts »

Wow, thanks so much for the help guys! I'm really glad I decided to seek professional help as I would have undoubtedly gotten ripped off. I was actually at a gunshow today celebrating my 28th Birthday with my Dad and Uncle, and saw a few guys with some nice Smith and Wesson Revolvers including a Python in a wood case, and asked the dealer if he would be interested. He offered 150 :mrgreen: but thankfully I had convinced my Dad not to try and sell it there. I am replying to a few PM's now, and since you guys are actual collectors I would rather it go to you guys who would actually appreciate it. I'll snap a few more pictures but the wood is in perfect condition, no scratches or any blemishes and from what I can tell, the owner of the Blackhawk took it out and put the box up never to be seen again.

I really can't tell you guys how my it means to me that you were able to help out so quickly. I only wish I could have gotten a chance to get the pistols that were originally in the box. They just don't make them like they used to
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Seattbelts,

We are happy you sought out the site and hope you will continue to visit us on the Forum and post on your visits to gun shows, interests, collecting, shooting or simply enjoy the camaraderie of our ROCS Team!

The Ruger Society was formed November 2013 by a dedicated group of Ruger Owners and Collectors while at the Wanenmacher Gun Show in Tulsa, OK. It was formally incorporated in March 2014. We want to meet, be associated with and share our knowledge, experiences and affection for Ruger firearms and memorabilia with like minded people!!

Several of the founders have been Ruger owners many years. They have actively participated in shooting, hunting with, carrying open or concealed, collecting and displaying various Ruger firearms. We want to ensure that all historical facts are archived and maintained for not only our generation but future generations as well.

Our objective is to have an organization that exists only for the benefit of its Members. We hope all "like minded" Ruger fans will join us in our efforts to build a viable organization and actively promote our RUGER hobby!!

If you shoot, carry, hunt with or collect Rugers, join our team!

Welcome to the site,,,,,,
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I echo Gene's sentiments fully. This is a great group of people and we have fun. I met many of the members for the first time in Ohio in July. We had a grand time. Liberty Forever (Gene) would give your Ruger box the finest home it could want. Glad you showed up here because these people would not rip you off.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...