SPANISH EYE CANDY!!

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Mike722

Re: SPANISH EYE CANDY!!

Post by Mike722 »

whenever you get tired of it, let me know!!
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Thanks for the comments guys, it is a beauty. Mike, I think that you are correct, in his latest book, "Ruger Pistols & Revolvers, the Vintage Years, 1949-1973", John Dougan shows six of the Spanish as "Pattern Guns" and #5100 is one of those. I also have #5115 and it has somewhat different engraving. Tyrone, yes I have displayed it along with some other RSSEs on more than one occasion, one of my favorite displays.
Bill
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

WOW.....
Again.... I say it is a privilege to be a part of this forum and see some REAL Ruger history.
FT, thanks for posting.
WT.....STOP sharing the marbles YOU OWE ME!!!!
I need 'em all.... :P
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

It does make sense that the engraving was done in the Basque area of Spain. In one of the early 1950's Gun Digest's there was quite an in depth article about Spanish gun making with several references to the Basque areas. Remember that the Spanish Civil War of 1936 to early 1939 was a trial run for WW2. A lot of the Northern area of Spain where the Basques live was destroyed. Francisco Franco tried to promote industry in Spain after he became dictator and a lot of that was gun related. There were many small machine shops making parts for larger companies so it would be quite possible that engraving was done in much the same manner.... JayDawg if you send me a PM with your address I will send you your very own Watertender marbles.... :lol:
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Nice!!!!!!!!!
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Simply beautiful! What an honor it must be to care for a fine piece like that. A good history lesson from WT also!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

I'm with Chuck.....enjoyed the history lesson from WT, maybe them marbles are still working!??!
The Basque thing is interesting to me. I had never really heard of the area until my daughter & husband hosted a 14 year old Basque student through our church for the month of July. From what I understand it is a region of Spain, but they have their own government/laws/culture and language.
A very nice kid. He was really surprised by all we get to do here in the US and really enjoyed the time up on the hill shooting!
He had never before held a "real" gun.
Makes me appreciate the freedoms we have here....
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

JAYDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 pm I'm with Chuck.....enjoyed the history lesson from WT, maybe them marbles are still working!??!
The Basque thing is interesting to me. I had never really heard of the area until my daughter & husband hosted a 14 year old Basque student through our church for the month of July. From what I understand it is a region of Spain, but they have their own government/laws/culture and language.
A very nice kid. He was really surprised by all we get to do here in the US and really enjoyed the time up on the hill shooting!
He had never before held a "real" gun.
Makes me appreciate the freedoms we have here....
Cheers,
JAY
Jay I am glad you got to host a Basque exchange student. There are Basque regions in both Spain and France in the Pyrenees. There are some Basques married into my family with very pronounced Basque names. The region has some incredible metal workers in both engraving and forging. The ones I am related to have been American since the 1800's so the cultural aspects have long passed. It brings home the fact that as Americans we have the 2nd Ammendment. I have your marbles all ready when you want them!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Wow, what a great addition Bill to your collection! Thanks for sharing it here on the forum for more to enjoy. This might attract more to come to a ROCS show to see these kinds of RUGER history or show off what they have hiding in there safe.
Charlie1022
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Doe's not get much better than that!
Much clearer pictures than some I've seen of it, Thanks for sharing.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man