Hand Engraved Single-Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
67stingray

Hand Engraved Single-Six

Post by 67stingray »

I recently purchased a 1964 Single-Six with hand engraving, a previous owner took most of it down to bare metal and it has a set of Ajax 31 grips on it. I know it was not factory engraved and can't find any signature of the engraver on it, but seems to be well done. Has anyone seen a Single like this or any information on it?
Thanks, Bennett
Attachments
64 Engraved Single Six #2.jpg
64 Engraved Single Six #8.jpg
64 Engraved Single Six #7.jpg
64 Engraved Single Six #6.jpg
64 Engraved Single Six #5.jpg
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
flattop44

Re: Hand Engraved Single-Six

Post by flattop44 »

That is a very interesting Single-Six. I too think it is an aftermarket job but well done originally. I do not recognize that style, maybe another member will.
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Bennett that is a nice looking piece. The engraving is well patterned and tastefully done. You may never know who did it but their pride and craftsmanship show. If only some guns could talk.....
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I really like the character of it and it almost has a French feel to the style. The right side shot made me think that more than the others. In particular, I like the feather-like quality and spirals shown on the back of the grip frame and top strap. A cool find!!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Thanks guys, I knew I couldn't pass it up when I saw it. It's a dying art, most of the engraved guns you see put out nowadays are machine engraved. Hadn't decided wherever I want to get someone like Tyler to restore it or to leave it in the bare.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

67stingray wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:30 pm Thanks guys, I knew I couldn't pass it up when I saw it. It's a dying art, most of the engraved guns you see put out nowadays are machine engraved. Hadn't decided wherever I want to get someone like Tyler to restore it or to leave it in the bare.
I would send to Tyler for CCH and total restoration. You have a jewel in the rough IMO.
Tenpoint

Post by Tenpoint »

Beauty!
See if Tyler’s can do a plastic bead blast to clean up the none engraved areas and then finish in a French Gray blue.
The plastic beads will not remove good metal and will leave a matte finish to compliment the hand-polished engraved areas. Good luck and please post some pics of the finished product.
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Thanks Tenpoint, haven't contacted Tyler yet but will get around to it sometime and hopefully bring it back to it's former glory.
Bennett
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Very cool find, its a project piece for sure Bennett. I'm interested in Tyler's recommendation but I do like TenPoints suggestion. Bring it back with photos when you have it done.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Tyler, Tyler, Tyler.........call Bobby.
Check this thread.....
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1514

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker