1955 Single Six question

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Marksman

1955 Single Six question

Post by Marksman »

Hello,
I just joined after getting back into collecting 3 screw revolvers. I found a single six I am interested in buying, it looks to be in very good condition for it's age. I noticed that the ejector rod is a plum like color, while the rest of the gun is solid blue. The gun has very few light handling marks. Is the color change of the ejector rod housing a common occurrence or may I be looking at a reblue with a non original part?
The ejector rod housing has the correct (short) slot length and the serrated ejector rod button. Thanks for your input. Mike
flattop44

Re: 1955 Single Six question

Post by flattop44 »

Mike, as you probably know it is not unusual to see the early Single-Sixes cylinder frames and loading gates turn shades of plum or reddish color. Not saying they couldn't but I do not recall seeing elector rod housings turn plum. Some of our other members may have seen some and can chime in.
Bill
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Bill,

Yes, I am wondering about that. The gun has a transfer bar installed, which is not great but I will deal with that. Just like to buy as original as possible. Mike
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

With a transfer bar/safety kit present it may have been refinished at the factory when they sent it back. Wonder if it has the blue work preformed slip with it that they enclosed with the gun after the kit was installed and sent back to the owner. Are the original parts with it?
Bill
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Just found out that the gun was reblued. There was some flaking at the bottom of the grip frame and that was repainted by hand. I did not investigate further.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yep, that was enough!!
Bill