Taking pics of old Flatties and custom OMs

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Tenpoint

Taking pics of old Flatties and custom OMs

Post by Tenpoint »

No matter what I try I can't seem to get the high quality pics some of you guys get. Especially in regards to bluing.
I'd like to submit some pics but they just don't do the guns justice

A few questions:

1) What do you oil the guns down with before the shot?
2) What type of lighting do you use to avoid reflections?
3) Is a flash involved?
4) Are these taken with digital camera or cell phones?

Thanks.
LIBERTY FOREVER

Re: Taking pics of old Flatties and custom OMs

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Ditto, I hear you, I've been wanting to post some as well and I'm just not able to get something that remotely does them justice either.

I was starting to find a groove with a cell phone using outside lighting on a simple deck rail behind house, however its been one wet and very cold winter here in IL. I haven't wanted to take them outside, or maybe its me.... :roll: :roll:
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Tenpoint, I can't help you with the photography much and I'm curious to read what those aficionados add to this topic. I generally use my cell phone with LED overhead lighting. The phone just simplifies the process of posting photos by eliminating the memory stick and allowing for direct upload or email. The lights causing glare on finishes has always been my biggest problem. Sometimes I drag my mat around the room or wherever I'm shooting until a suitable spot is found and the glare is reduced. I do have a Nikon D3000 with a few lenses but the camera is smarter than me and I've not learned it as I should. The macro lens that I have allows me to get up close and personal on fine details but must be used with a tripod for stability. Many of us use Renaissance Wax on our guns for both safekeeping and display. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax It's a museum wax that is widely accepted and used on many types of things in collections. It is expensive but a little goes a long way. It makes a gun look amazing when applied properly and offers great protection. It also doesn't show fingerprints or handling like some oils. I hope this helps a little.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Tenpoint

Post by Tenpoint »

Absolutely, good ideas.
I picked up an LED shop light tonight at Costco to set up over my shop table and a roll of red felt yesterday for a background. I’ll add the wax to my next Brownell’s order.
I hope to post some pics in a week or two.