Recently acquired Duplicate .357 magnum

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
BuckkleUp

Recently acquired Duplicate .357 magnum

Post by BuckkleUp »

Was hoping you all could fill me in on the details of this duplicate revolver. Shipping date possibly? Original shipping destination? Number of D .357's built? I had read somewhere that I could include my serial number to a list of other duplicate revolvers. Possibly with the hopes of finding the "identical twin". What kind of value would be placed on this gun? It has 95% original bluing and has never been converted. Thanks for any info. Serial Number D 30-97433
RoninPA

Re: Recently acquired Duplicate .357 magnum

Post by RoninPA »

First off, Welcome to the ROCS site, you will find a lot of knowledgeable Ruger owners and collectors who will be able to answer most if not all your questions.

Your D serial number was made in 1971 according to the Reference of Ruger Firearms and is a protected sight model of the Old Model .357 Blackhawks. There will probably be others who will comment further on what you are asking.

However, if you want the info straight from the horses mouth, I would suggest you get the form to get the Letter of Authenticity. You can find it here: https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
BuckkleUp

Post by BuckkleUp »

Thank you for reply RoninPA. I would imagine finding the matched number revolver would be like winning the lottery. Twice in a row. Wondering if anyone has ever done it? I do have a few old model Blackhawks. My first year production .41 magnum with box is what got me started. Love these old single actions. Thanks again.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

There were around 1,500 "D" guns built in the D30-97400 to D30-98910 serial number range. What is pretty interesting is that most were shipped as convertibles with the extra 9mm cylinder.
So in this case, "D" gun that were shipped as .357 Mag. only are actually super scarce.
Chet15
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Buckleup,
I suggest you write Ruger to find out if this was shipped as a convertible or a single cylinder gun. I do not know of anyone that has found a matching serial number to their "D" guns. But I am sure they are out there, somewhere.

I know one of our members has compiled a list of all the .357 Blackhawks that were reported to him or he seen, but I can't remember his name. Maybe someone here can give you that information. Somewhere I may have a copy of the old list, somewhere.

Tell me about your 41mag. Does it have "INC." in the barrel address? What barrel length?

O M CRAZY
contender

Post by contender »

Kudos on getting the "D" gun.
I too recently got my first one as well.
Close to yours.

There is a "list" started by an older, (now deceased) collector, Bob Campbell, trying to get basic details on any & all OM 357's. The current custodian of the List is a guy who goes by "Ale-8-1" over on the Ruger Forum.
He'd love to have the info.