Ruger wood case

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
chet15

Ruger wood case

Post by chet15 »

So who got the prototype .357 flattop case???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAHOGA ... _cvip=true
67stingray

Re: Ruger wood case

Post by 67stingray »

I don't know, I was watching it and then the bidding went crazy at the end. The bidder ID is hidden on Ebay. Is this one of the original 3 boxes? It looks brand new to me.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

LOL. I don't know who payed that much, but that's just crazy. Just a home made box. :lol:
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Suggest a review of This Box on pages 301(lower left corner of page) and 302(other variants) in Dougan's latest book. This is a very rare box, it would seem. 8-) Photos did not indicate a home made box........Instead, the workmanship seemed rather intricate..........Looks like now one of four.......... :roll:
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Just an Amazing Find! :shock:
Congratulations to who ever made the snag,, ;)

Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Hawkeye28 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 am Suggest a review of This Box on pages 301(lower left corner of page) and 302(other variants) in Dougan's latest book. This is a very rare box, it would seem. 8-) Photos did not indicate a home made box........Instead, the workmanship seemed rather intricate..........Looks like now one of four.......... :roll:
I stand corrected sir!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
chet15

Post by chet15 »

That would be the 2nd or third known of that type now, for the .357 flattop. I do note the hinges are different than at least one other known .357 ft case.
There is also a case known for a Single-Six.
Would be nice to come up with some documentation from Ruger as to the status of these cases. Gates was obviously in the presentation case making business. They did the mahogany cases for the Super Blackhawk, and I'm not so sure they aren't the same manufacturer who did the Colorado Centennial cases since I just found out when Gates in Antrim, NH had their fire in late 1960, they picked up and moved to West Peterborough, NH... which also happens to be where the Colorado Centennial cases came from in 1975 (I just need to verify the manufacturer).
Anyway, with Gates being in the presentation case manufacturing business, did they have wares like the .357 FT case and the Single-Six case of this type available to the public?
Chet15
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Kinda neat really, I recall many years ago Bob Campbell an I often talked about these so called proto type cases and not sure if it was Rich M or John D who had them or access to them,,,I did do some home work way back in the old days as the hardware ( latches and hinges) for these cases as well as the S-47 mahogany cases , the hardware came from a company here in Solon,Ohio....I talked with them and they no longer had those listed in the catalog nor the contact info for the company in Italy, who made them....also there was a couple of 'Ruger ' folks ( collectors) that were making the replica mahogany inserts for these case, .nice job too..............
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Gates Corporation in Antrim, NH also manufactured the dark blue/black presentation cases for S&W's 44 Magnum and a very few cases for the .357 Combat Magnum (1956-1960). They supplied these cases until S&W switched to the mahogany case in early 1960 and began making them in house.

The price paid for the .357 Blackhawk case seems like a bargain to me. I would have thought it would a have sold for at least five times what it did.

Bill
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

It might have if I had known about it. 😉
FT44