Single Six Factory Scope Mount

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
STABOR61

Single Six Factory Scope Mount

Post by STABOR61 »

Hello, I recently picked up a three screw Single Six Convertible that was made 1965. It is in the original box inside the original shipping box and it has all the original documents and the Mag cylinder. The gun is gorgeous. Along with the gun is a small steel Ruger marked what appears to be a scope mount. The gun has an additional tapped hole which has a plug in it, for the mount on top of the strap in front of the rear site. The mount goes where the rear site is and uses the rear sight screw hole as well. My question is, was this gun sent from the factory this way? Ive never seen this mount before but it matches the gun perfectly and has the Ruger logo on it. Thank you for any help!
rugerguy

Re: Single Six Factory Scope Mount

Post by rugerguy »

without seeing it,my guess is it is a Bushnell scope mount base, that was how they did things back then, one hole drilled in the top strap, use the rear sight elevation screw hole for the rear...the plate ( base) would have been marked by Bushnell as Ruger or whatever gun they made the particular base for,,,the scope itself was mainly a fixed power scope like 1 -1/2 or higher power, no more than 2 1/2.........the ONLY Ruger back in the old days that was factory drilled and tapped was the Hawkeye and those two holes were out on top of the barrel just in front of the cylinder frame and the grooved plate would be marked "Ruger". Hope this helps,,,,it would be nice to "see" a picture of your gun in question...... ;)
STABOR61

Post by STABOR61 »

20190827_041705.jpg
20190827_041705.jpg
Attachments
20190826_180209.jpg
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

very nice gun, and yes looks liek the Bushnell (Phantom) set up......I recall there should be two threaded "strud" ( looks like an upside down cone) that screw onto the gun first then the base slips over them and 'cross' screws look it all down.......it works BUT again, only for the Bushnell scopes themselves.other wise you need a different base to mount other brands of scope, most common was the Weaver bases........again, this was usually done "aftermarket" and I have never know anyone that had sent theirs back to the factory to have this done,,BUT never say never, hard to imagine the old man ( Mr Ruger) not taking care of any of his "friends" when something "needed" to be done 8-) :roll: ;)
STABOR61

Post by STABOR61 »

Thank you RugerGuy. I also have the original grips. The ones on it are stag and I'm sure were not cheep. They came on it and I love the gun. I think from what I have researched the gun was made 1965.