4 digit Single-Six Question

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
JAYDAWG

4 digit Single-Six Question

Post by JAYDAWG »

So,
I picked up a 4 digit Single-Six, kind of a beater, but I can't pass these up :shock: :)
Correct sights & ejector rod length. Not converted. Polished grip frame and wrong grips.
Round loading gate!?!?
I have read somewhere that some folks didn't like the flat gate and replaced it with a newer
round one. Or with the other issues is this a Frankenstein gun, parts from more than one gun??
OR....should I get a Ruger letter and see when this one was shipped, maybe a parts bin gun
released at a later date?
All thoughts and comments welcome.
Enlighten me team ROCS......
Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1116.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
SteveRuger

Re: 4 digit Single-Six Question

Post by SteveRuger »

By the looks of the picture it looks like a 'Premier' loading gate to me. They were a supplier that sold loading gates, grips, front and rear sights for Rugers. If you have another Single-Six from serial # 63,000 up you can compare then and see that the Premier gate are a little longer measuring from the cylinder to the end of the loading gate. I have a few of them I guns I have purchased years back. J/S
The previous owner some where down the line brushed of the grip frame to the shiny aluminum finish. It should have hard rubber black grips also the wood grip were not produced until 1957 approximately.
Great 22 shoot it and enjoy one of the finest well built single action revolvers made.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Jay that looks good. Always nice to have a sort of beatup one to shoot while keeping the nicer ones for display.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Neat gun. I think the loading gate is a standard Ruger. Here is a picture of the Premier gate and you can see it takes up most of the opening on the frame. You got a neat gun either way.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Steve, & Jusbad,
Thanks for the input. I had never heard of Premire. Learn something new all the time on the ROCS forum!
So, the question remains.......is it possibly a parts bin thing and shipped at a later date and worth the Ruger
letter, or most likely changed along the way by a past owner?

JAY
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Good info above and to me it is typical of many from back then, the grips frame removed, polished out, grips replaced and the loading gate replaced, YES, it could have been replaced by the factory ( the loading gate) BUT a 'letter' will NOT tell you that information. I would remove the grip frame look/see' if it was stamped with the "R" meaning it went back and was safety updated, could have had parts changed then and the owner removed, swapped back, the 'lockwork', if only it could talk and tell you, the factory letter will NOT. 8-) :roll: ;)

Nice gun, and would be a great shooter, use it........ :)
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Jay, my best guess is that it is a custom job done by previous owners but it's still a neat one to have and get out and enjoy. Here's a picture of the loading gates from John Dougan's book, sorry about the orientation, if you double click the pic it will be turned right.
Bennett
Attachments
20191007_205044.jpg
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Bennett,
Thanks for the pic, mine is for sure Ruger, the shorter one.
Here is another picture with the grips off. I was unaware that
the grip locator nub on each side of the grip frame was a pin, since
this one has been removed.
Another hole was drilled in the grip frame and a roll pin put in to
hold the newer style grips.
I'm going to pull that roll pin out and put another back in the original
hole so I can put some grips on that fit correctly.
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1123a.JPG
fishhuntnut

Post by fishhuntnut »

One of my most unusual finds at a gun smith shop I was allowed to search around in was a group Premier loading gates in the original packaging stapled to a carboard backboard from the Premier co.... Have a couple of other shooters with them on .. All have since graced the collections of others...
Ironhawk

Post by Ironhawk »

4 didget I can't even find a five or six for sale very neet find, some folks fidget to much on customizing if they only new how awesome they are original as years go on.

What year were the light weight sixes available ?