Early single-six box dimensions

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Single-six

Early single-six box dimensions

Post by Single-six »

I'm new to the rocs forum. But I've renewed my interest in old single-sixs and I'm trying to learn what i can about the box sizes. I have been told that the light weights came in a box the same length as the 5 1/2" barrelled guns, even though they were 4 5/8" barrels. In John Dougan's fine Ruger book on page 298 it says that the boxes were dimensioned according to the 4 5/8", 5 1/2", and 9 1/2" barrelled guns. And that later 4 5/8" barreled guns were shipped in boxes dimensionally identical to the 5 1/2" barreled guns. My question is have any of you folks out there seen any of the short 4 5/8" barreled gun boxes? Everybody I've talked to so far have not. Thanks
Ironhawk

Re: Early single-six box dimensions

Post by Ironhawk »

I think that's correct I have never seen any shorter box than what the 5 1/2 comes in, have seen smaller for standards auto pistols
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

Thanks Ironhawk for the reply. Again, thats what I'm getting from everyone i talk to. But again if anyone knows of one, I'd love to hear from them about it and maybe they would post a photo of it.....then I'd like to bid on it....
chet15

Post by chet15 »

One would think that if the Lightweight Single-Six box is dimensionally identical to the non-catalog number Single-Six box and RSS5 printed box, that there would not be a shorter box for the RSS4 with RSS4 printed end. After all, the Lightweight was 1956 to 1958 production.
Sold all our stuff quite a while ago, so can't answer that question positively, but I DO NOT believe that the earliest RSS4 printed boxes were shorter than an RSS5 printed box or an earlier Single-Six box without catalog numbers.
Chet15
Last edited by chet15 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

Thanks Chet 15 for commenting on it...
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Bump...
Anybody???
Surely somebody can post the box measurements of an RSS4 printed box and a Lightweight box?
Chet15
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

I get 11 and 3/4" on my rss4 printed box. I don't have a light weight box to measure. But thanks for posting
Donald.....
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

My original 2 pc Tricolor Lightweight box and my ONLY 4 5/8" RSS4 box are both 11 3/4" long . Further.....There are some 2 pc Ruger boxes that are very uncommon and difficult to find: 10" 357 and 44 FT boxes..........RSS4 Originally labeled as part of the box(end) 4 5/8" Single Six..(never cared much for over labeled white labels on the wrong box!)......RSS9 9 1/2" Single Six ...All Few made, OLD!, AND to wit: "I will take that "********" Joe! (reply) "Great, I'll box it up and we'll finish the deal." (Reply) "Box? Hell! I can't shoot the box. Haven't you got a holster for that gun?".........box went in the shop waste or under the counter for screws, pencils, tools or junk...........and that was 55 years ago, more or less.......I do recall seeing a RSS4 in a SHORTER box back in the late seventies........It was $350 and missing the cross pin for the firing pin retainer. At the time it was overpriced and tho I knew what it was, I walked away...........
I have found far more Hawkeye boxes than those noted above, and, I have been i this harness for some 55 years.......Splitz
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Gary West says his LW boxes, RSS4 printed box, RSS5 box and non catalog number Single-Six box are all the same identical dimensions.
OK... so who has an RSS4 printed box that is shorter????
Honestly, that would really surprise me. The lightweight box was always the same length as the Single-Six Non Catalog number box. So not sure why the box maker would make a shorter box for the RSS4 printed example, especially since the earliest of those were made 3 years after the Lightweight came out.
The first block of 1,000 or so RSS4's in the 134xxx/early 135xxx range were actually shipped in non catalog number Single-Six boxes, with 4-5/8" penciled on the end.
Chet15
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

SEE EDIT FOLLOWING! Recently purchased a RSS4 box from our Friend Wes in Ohio. SN remnant looks to be in the early build/ship period of the RSS4. The box size is the same as the box for the RSS5. HOWEVER!!...... : I TOOK A FLASHLIGHT AND REVIEWED THE FAINTLY PENCIL INSCRIBED SN ON THE BOX LABEL LEFT CORNER....IT APPEARS AS........ 18782X. THEREFORE, MUCH LATER IN THE PERIOD'S BUILD RUN WE DISCUSSED HERE.
Last edited by Hawkeye28 on Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.