Rare Hawkeye "custom"

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

Rare Hawkeye "custom"

Post by Ruger8r »

Well, to each his own but there's really no going back from this. Might be of interest to somebody; ammo would certainly be cheaper. I wonder who did the job?
Enjoy
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101400285
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Hawkeye28

Re: Rare Hawkeye "custom"

Post by Hawkeye28 »

I OWN A SIMILARLY SETUP HAWKEYE. It came from Griffin and Howe. Information from them noted it came into the store as a trade in from the Son of the deceased owner and I was told G&H built it for the Father. There are no visible G&H markings on the gun. The original barrel was not with the gun. Strangely enough, there was a Hawkeye barrel offered in GunList at the exact same time. When I called the phone number, the offerors wife told me that the barrel was sold and that her husband had just sold the 10" 22 Hornet Ruger Hawkeye from which the barrel had originated to G&H. He had inherited the gun from his father. Coincidence? :roll:
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Interesting story, Hawkeye28. So this could not be the same piece as the one that matched the barrel. Have I got that right?
Unfortunately seems like an all too familiar situation; collectable firearms left to family members who may not appreciate them.
Does the Griffin & Howe provenance add another level of collectability to the Hawkeye? If so does the price of this one reflect that (the seller doesn't mention the G&H connection)? The seller's rating of excellent condition seems a bit of a stretch, though. Do you know how many Hornet Hawkeyes G&H built (we know of 3). Nice G&H custom but I don't think I could bring myself to do that to a rare gun.
Owen
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Back in the 80's, well known Ruger flat top collector Jimmy Dillon was converting a lot of Hawkeyes...... saw a few examples of his work. The one I remember was converted to .357 Herret. Just kinda worried me a bit with that round as you could just see a "tad" of the rim exposed....the block just wasn't quite big enough......there were two Maximums made up on the Hawkeye. One was supposed to have been made up of all parts......the other taken out of the factory collection and rebarreled....Coogs.
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

RELATED........a viable informed spokesman told me that all of the Hawkeyes in the factory inventory, boxed on pallets, along with service parts, were sent to Pine Tree Casting and summarily smelted ..........seems the "Beancounters" said these and many other items in old inventory,(Truckload to Davidsons') were deemed liabilities rather than assets, due to dated designs with unsafe factors.........Whatever the hell that meant. There were 2 digit guns in that load..........I bought one SN 27...6 others went down the road before I found out about them.........makes for bitter wine..............
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

I believe you and I know the gentleman that shoveled those in the pot.........
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Someone bought the G&H Hawkeye custom. I'm curious about the grips. We're those G&H or added later and are they Ruger?
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Aftermarket panels. Glad someone rose to the occasion. Is a collectible variation and would look fine in a display. After custodianizing some 50 plus Hawkeyes, it is always interesting to see someone elses' visions of how they could have been more successful. Always thought WBR should have considered other calibers and ammo configurations for a firearm ahead of its time. However, that is another story for my sharing of what he flatly told me about firearm collectors at the 1983 NRA Annual Meeting in Phoenix...............Everyone stay well at your one man Gun Shows..........SPLITZ
Ironhawk

Post by Ironhawk »

Just think of a five shot bisley .256 Hunter wouldn't that be sweet. love stooting my Hawkeye always wondered about a blackhawk version but I think pressures are the big issue, same goes with the maximum what about a five shot bisley version. hint, hint.......
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Hawkeye28, I'm dying to hear what WBR said about collectors. Can you share?
O