White Box Super Mystery *HELP*

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Marksman

White Box Super Mystery *HELP*

Post by Marksman »

I bought this S47 last year, it is my first white box super. The serial number is 6102. It has a standard frame and a high polish finish.
The first thing I noticed was that the ejector rod housing is aluminum and not steel and the rear sight does not say “MICRO”.
For a late 1961 gun, the ERH is supposed to be steel and “MICRO” is supposed to be stamped behind the adjustment screw.

The box is in o.k. condition and has the serial number written in pencil on the outer sleeve.

So I ordered the letter from Ruger and things became more interesting. It turned out that the gun was made in July of 1966 and shipped to Honolulu Sporting Goods in Honolulu, HI in July of 1966.

It is not too unusual that guns were shipped years after the frames were stamped (with newer parts in use at the time of shipment), but what remains a mystery to me is the white box. Why would the gun stay that long in the factory with a box that was out of use for 5 years or more at time the gun was completed and shipped? So I thought that someone might have just put this serial number on “a” white box to match them up for the same vintage.

While I was checking out the books on a couple of other early Supers, I came across a picture in John Dougan’s book “The Vintage Years”. On page 304 he is showing one of his White Box Supers with the serial number 6533 (only 431 guns after mine). The picture shows the outer sleeve with the serial number centered and in pencil just like mine. The only number I can directly compare is 6 and (although I am not a handwriting expert), it looks identical to the way my 6 is written on my box. I am attaching some picture for comparison.

I have not given up on the idea that the box is original to the gun, but I know it appears more likely that it is not. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might have happened here? I’d love to hear about it. Or does anyone know this gun and has done research on that gun in the past?

Oh ….one more thing, I found out that the day books show that my gun shipped with 4 other guns with serial nos. 23756, 22624, 52596 and 26853 all marked S47.
I can further see that sn: 6101 was shipped on 4/11/61, sn: 6103 on 12/29/60 and sn: 6104 on 11/28/60. My sn: 6102 is marked as shipped on 7/27/66.
Right Full.jpg
DSC_0084 (1024x684).jpg
JD.jpg
DSC_0090 (1024x940).jpg
Last edited by Marksman on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
O M CRAZY

Re: White Box Super Mystery *HELP*

Post by O M CRAZY »

Marksman,
It is not uncommon for a gun to be shipped latter than it should of been and have later parts on it, as you know. But normally they come in the box of the period they were shipped. You having the white box is unusual, but not impossible.I find it hard to believe that someone had a "White Box" that was blank (no serial number) laying around waiting to find a gun.

The gun could of been stored in its box at Ruger. But I don't know how you would find that out.

Sorry not much help here.
O M CRAZY
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

I personally think you have a unique Super. While out of the sequence, stranger things have happened and who knows what may have occurred on a telecon and a special request or response......Relax 8-)
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Agree with OM Crazy and Splitz, have seen or heard of similar occurrences. As an example, I have a .44 Flattop that was made in December 1956 and not shipped until August 1974. It is in its original box and outer shipping carton. Interesting late shipped Whitebox Super, I think you have a good one!!
Bill
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Thanks for all your input. I like the gun, it is in 98% shape and most of all it has a story to tell. Maybe someone here has owned it before and knows the "The Rest OF The Story"?
In the meantime, let's hear more ideas of what might have happened! I'll stay on it. Mike
Ironhawk

Post by Ironhawk »

I have same thing with a old model vaquero they stopped making old frame in 05 but mine has test fire bullet in a 2010 envelope as well as new current parts barrel, grips with Sr emblems and was assembled at the new port plant so things are possible in the land of Ruger, just showes they never stop assembling, awesome to find a one off from time to time, Chuck
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Wow, that's a beauty Marksman, fine looking S47 WB.
FT44
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Well maybe it shipped twice......I use to own a 7 1/2 44 flat top that had a serial too early for that barrel length...

Turns out it shipped years earlier with a 6 1/2 barrel then was sent back to the factory and sent out the second time with the longer barrel.....and was listed as a second......I think FT44 might remember this gun :D
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Thanks again, keep the comments coming. I am glad to hear about these different cases. I have some more unusual ones I will bring them up some time later. Nothing is better than a story that makes a gun unique.

I finally figured out that my new Android Note 10 will not take pictures that publish on this website. I have no idea why. I unpacked my Nikon that I used for coin photography and it works like a charm. So above are finally the pictures I wanted to show with my original text. Doesn't the six on my box look just like the one on John Dougan's box? How do the other numbers compare? Mike
chet15

Post by chet15 »

My notes show this gun being shipped in July 1966, and was once owned by an RENE member by the name of Dennis Fry.
Another note shows the gun having a white case and sleeve that was serial numbered 6515 on the outside.
Since this gun has an alloy ejector housing and alloy non-Micro rear sight, I think somebody put the white case and sleeve with it after-the-fact, because the gun was "in the range" of a white case super. But a July 1966 ship date says black and red two-piece box all day long, and the original serial number on the white case and sleeve were obviously not for this gun.
So to me, there's nothing original to this packaging with this gun at all.
Marksman, if you look closely at this box and sleeve, I think you'll see the remnants of where 6515 used to be.
But... having a white case and sleeve are a plus! Most collectors aren't able to come up with a white case and sleeve. But I'm pretty sure, the black and red two piece box would be original with your gun.
Chet15