AN INTERESTING SINGLE-SIX...OR AT LEAST TO ME!!

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
flattop44

AN INTERESTING SINGLE-SIX...OR AT LEAST TO ME!!

Post by flattop44 »

I picked up an interesting ..or at least to me.. Single-Six a few years back. It is a high condition 3-digit, #581, with its original box and all the papers. It has some pretty gold and red streaks on the cylinder frame. Most interesting thing is that it was originally purchased by Roy Jinks, Historian of Smith & Wesson fame. I talked to Roy and he told me that he bought it back in 1954 because he could not afford a Colt at that time! :) Its a great RSS with some history and I am happy to be its caretaker for a while!
FT44
gunman42782

Re: AN INTERESTING SINGLE-SIX...OR AT LEAST TO ME!!

Post by gunman42782 »

That's awesome!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Bill,
That's a nice complete package. What do you think is the cause of the red and gold streaks? It is fortunate that you were able to talk to the original owner. I agree with him about not affording a Colt. I had quite a few Colts many years ago, but today I would rather collect a special Ruger than a Colt parts gun for that same money. Mike
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

BIll, that is awesome we like it, gee Roy never said or told Laura that he even owned a Ruger.....hmmmm :?

yes those streaks are very interesting and that was an anomoly of the the "batch" mix when they cast those early frames, various components of the "Mix" in the "batch" would come to the surface and obviously would not take the 'bluing' salts properly, causing the "streaks" almost like 'lightning'......Jim Hoobler had told us about those problem way back after Walt Howe & Jeff M and I had discussed this about bluing various metals back when we had our shop called Cleveland Bluing Co.................

Again, NICE gun BIll ;)
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Bill
You happen to pick up any new interesting 10" guns lately? ;)
Nice single-six by the way - I have the long lost cousin #519 with copper patches too.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Gary, I did pick up a minty BKH30 eight groove recently. :)
Bill
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

flattop44 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 pm Gary, I did pick up a minty BKH30 eight groove recently. :)
Bill
Would like to see pictures of that one Bill. Any cardboard with it? 8-)
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yep, all the cardboard....that makes it pretty special. Have to take a few pics!
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Bill you come up with the darndest things! I should send you some marbles in matching colors to go with Roy Jinks's Single Six.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...