1959 BKH-34 question

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
RoninPA

1959 BKH-34 question

Post by RoninPA »

Customer brought me a BKH-3 to look at and give him some suggestions.

Here's the specifics:

BKH-34, Flattop, Micro rear sight
s/n 19030 (1959)
4 5/8 bbl
Black rubber grips
Has NOT been converted
VERY slight wear at the left front of the barrel and the left rear of the frame (by the cylinder)
Some wear on the cylinder, if you rotate it it matches up with the wear on the barrel and frame. I'm guessing holster wear.

My bad, I did not look closely at the front sight or the ejector rod and housing.

I would rate it, using the BBGV, 95-98%

He brought it to me today to "evaluate" whether he should have it color cased or reblued. My first thoughts :o :shock: :? :)

I told him that it is his gun, he can do anything he wants with it but if it were mine I'd leave it alone.

About my customer:
He is a professor at Penn State, he is Chinese (but a green card holder) and he wants his guns, new or old to not have any wear marks, etc. on them. An example, he bought a HK VP9 Long Slide from a person that I had had Cerakoted 2 months prior. It had some marks on the slide and grip (I would consider very minor normal wear and tear) and he wanted me to reCerakote (same colors). Tried to talk him out of it but no luck, so I Cerakoted it again and charged him full price.

1. He wanted to know how much it is worth.
I tried to explain that it depends on the people who might want to buy it, be they Ruger collectors, just shooters, location in the US, etc.

2. What would the cost be to color case it or reblue - I used Bobby Tyler and Turnbull to give him estimates

3. Would rebluing or color casing affect the selling price
Tried to explain that it would again depend on the buyer - are they knowledgeable about Rugers, can they spot something that has been reblued, where it was being sold, etc.

Now that the preliminaries are done, here's what I told him:

The Blue Book says value of $600 - $850. I said with the amount of wear (very little) probably $750-$800

YES - NO? Was I too far off either way? Remember I'm a DA kind of guy so I'm still learning the SA trade :D

Thanks for any/all inputs. I am considering making him an offer, this is just not the kind of gun he normally buys/collects, if fact I think this is the only SA revolver he has. He gravitates toward S&W revolvers.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
flattop44

Re: 1959 BKH-34 question

Post by flattop44 »

From the serial number given it is most likely a Type 3 with straight slot ERH. I think your estimate is in the ball park. I would probably ask $850 for it if it were on my table.
Bill
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Based on what you are saying I would say $750.00 to $800.00. Like your Chinese friend I don't like wear mark either, so I may be on the low side.
O M CRAZY
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Vince, He is anal about marks and finish on the guns he has (he is not an older professor or anything, he's 36). The marks on the Blackhawk tell me it spent more time in a holster than being taken in and out of a holster, they were what I would call miniscule for a SA revolver that is 61 years young. The scuff marks on the HK VP9, I wouldn't have even noticed them if he hadn't pointed them out.

I'd hate to see what would happen if he accidentally dropped a gun while outside. :D

Bill and Vince - thanks for the input on the value. If he is looking to sell it I might, just might :D make him an offer.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ron..I can tell you what happens when it is dropped....My dear wife dropped one of my pistols when I ask her to hold it.... It instantly became a SHOOTER :o :cry: