OM nickel plated Single Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

OM nickel plated Single Six

Post by Ruger8r »

Were there any plated standard single sixes manufactured by Ruger? There is a 178xxx plated gun with a mag cylinder in very used condition for sale. Can't find any reference to plated S6 revolvers in this SN range.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Re: OM nickel plated Single Six

Post by flattop44 »

The only factory chrome plated Single Sixes that I know if were 9 in the 15xxx range. 8 of those were displayed on the famous "Chrome Wheel" by Ruger at NRA Annual Shows from about the mid-1950s into the early 1960s. I have seen several over the years but never heard of any others being authenticated by the factory.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, flattop44.
I saw that in the Reference.
So is it possibly a factory oddball that may or may not letter or could it have been plated later by an owner?
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Most probable plated after it left the factory. If it looks 100% original and you really want to know, a letter sent to the factory with $10 enclosed will tell the real story. Unless it will factory letter or has some solid provenance that it was an employee gun, etc. the value is just what a gun plated outside the factory would be worth to someone.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Kinda looks real to me but pretty beat up. Here's the link - the plating has a rosy tint and some streaks. Coming out of Washington State and ends tomorrow with no bids. I can't even right now.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859894545
Whaddya think?
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Jack Behn, WBR's right hand man, told me on multiple occasions, that on many instances, WBR would direct that individual firearms be taken out of various inventory and taken "across the street" to Superior Plating for work to be done. Such work done on the basis of individual instruction of WBR. Upon my questioning of this practice and any notes to file or additions to the gun's factory records, Behn noted that nearly never were original build records changed or added to, leaving the modified gun's build record and day book data as originally recorded before it went to Superior Plating. The last times I had this discussion were at the NRA Annual Meetings in New Orleans and Reno in the Mid 1980's. Splitz 8-)
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

You will all note that the subject Single Six also has had a safety parts kit installed. See the hammer face in the pictures. Grips show great use. Does not seem nickel but rather a chrome finish, both of which Jack Behn stated were possible and done at Superior Plating.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Yes, it does look like chrome. And sure looks like it is original to the gun or very close to it. But the cylinders look stainless to me - the mag cylinder must have been fitted when the safety mod was done. Did they keep records of those upgrades?
The grips look like finished walnut which were also off catalogue, I think.
So, did WBR send those to distributors or...?
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Superior Plating in Southport, Connecticut is still in business. Has anyone ever checked with them regarding archived records? They could have a lot of information.
O
d findley

Post by d findley »

Here is an old newspaper ad for Superior Plating.
Attachments
25.jpg