German-engraved Single Six Magnum

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

German-engraved Single Six Magnum

Post by Ruger8r »

Officially a collector and going for Baroque!
This amazing, over the top, maybe even gaudy Six will soon be on its way to a new home with me. I could not resist the sheer magnitude of the project, the great colors of the blueing and the fact that it was done in Germany. It is a little rough in places and has a couple of nicks but there is also a lot of very nice gold and silver inlay work (what's up with that bear?). I'm starting to gather information to answer questions like how it got to Germany and then wound up back in New Hampshire and the one everyone asks; why? Why would someone put so much into a Ruger Single Six? Does anyone know of any other German-engraved Rugers?
The grips are staying with the seller, for now, as they think they are real Ivory. I'm not so sure because I can't see any grain in the photos. I'd appreciate your opinions. Would they be custom-made or aftermarket for the XR3 frame?
The photos are by the seller. Enjoy and please let me know what you think.
O
pix129178930.jpg
pix056865412.jpg
pix470567684.jpg
pix832606256.jpg
pix966891657.jpg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
O M CRAZY

Re: German-engraved Single Six Magnum

Post by O M CRAZY »

I LIKE THE ENGRAVING. i AGREE THE GRIP PANELS DO NOT LOOK LIKE IVORY. YOU WERE ABLE TO BUY AFTER MARKET IVORY GRIPS FOR THE XR3 FRAME.

o m crazy
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Very nice looking! You have something unique to be proud of. Congrats!!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That is a beautiful RSSM, sure has full coverage!
Bill
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Very nice. Hard to tell by the pictures if the grips are real ivory. Nice score either way. Here is a Japanese engraved Flatgate with real carved ivory.
22 Eng Recoil_zpsrgbhkz4i.jpg
22 Engraved_zpszwvaivgb.jpg
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks for the comments. It should come back as RSSMX as the xtra cylinder is stamped with the last 3 SN. No eagle roll mark on the barrel.
The story apparently involves a returning service member bringing it back to the US. Filling in the details will be a challenge but rewarding if there is some interesting provenance. I assume that if it was exported it would have a German proof mark. Am I correct in that? So, how would it have been sent or taken to Germany?
If any one else has an opinion regarding the grips please weigh-in. The seller was not aware of the ban on selling ivory across state lines until I informed him. Now he is a little freaked out and I am trying to get him to have them verified as non-ivory somehow and send them to me.
I'd like to find a reasonable Colorado Centennial case for it if there are any kicking around.
Anyhow, here are a few more pics.
pix300952932.jpg
pix145912831.jpg
pix872546522.jpg
pix768256275.jpg
Last edited by Ruger8r on Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Congratulations on a fine addition to your collection, I also like the engraving on it. How much information do you have about the engraver?
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Carbineguy,
It might not have German proof marks if it was shipped to the Rod and Gun Club where the service member was stationed. Items like that are shipped just like they are being shipped to somewhere in the US as the base in Germany would be considered US territory. I bought several guns when I was stationed in Iceland and they came in on the C-141B supply plane and delivered to the Rod and Gun Club for sale.

When a service member buys a firearm at a base overseas and wants to bring it back to the US he just has to do some paperwork to declare when and where he bought it and it will then get listed that it is US goods, not goods that were imported into the country. It's not really a big deal to do.
Last edited by RoninPA on Tue May 26, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, Ron.
If there are records of sales for the rod & gun club and they are accessible maybe I can find out who the original owner was.
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Super nice!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member