Old model six convertible 4 5/8 price jump

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

Old model six convertible 4 5/8 price jump

Post by Ruger8r »

Did anyone else notice the jump in value for the OM short barrel 100% six convertible from $725 last year to $1200 in this year's blue book? That's a big increase. Did they just catch fire since last spring? Wha hoppen?
Last edited by Ruger8r on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Re: Old model 4 5/8 price jump

Post by flattop44 »

The 100% is supposed to be new in its box and as you know, the 4-5/8" is the rarest barrel length for the old model RSS convertibles. That rare box alone is a $250 (Sticker) - $500 (No sticker) box. So in my opinion the stated value finally has recognized the value of these very rare boxes along with a new or an as new RSS4X. Sure not many of them out there.
Bill
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

That RSS4 was, over my 50+ years in this arena, the toughest RSS to find. I found more RSSE and The TriColor LtWt than the blued short barreled Single Six. The boxes even more rare. $1200 is far from enough for a boxed gun.........To wit........I have two after all these years and they "showed up" within the past five years! Playing the mind game."How many have your seen?" 8-)
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Here is an example of one that sold recently on our website.

SOLD PENDING FUNDS. Very nice RSS4x (187376) with walnut grips in original box. Nice rare package complete with 3 cent warranty and manual... If you don't have this variation in your collection here is your chance. $1500 + actual shipping/ins... FFL to FFL. Posted elsewhere so 1st I'll take it by date/time. Thanks.

Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Wow! OK, then.
That value also includes the 9 1/2.
Love the OM Sixes.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

https://p1.gunbroker.com/pics/870806000 ... 828960.jpg
So, at $551, someone just got a stupendous deal on this one at GB, even though it's probably 98/99% due to a definite turn line on the un-installed cylinder (only shown in this pic), a nick on the trigger guard and a strange blued-over divet next to the forward grip frame screw. I don't know enough about the box and contents - do they look correct? No box-end photos were shown, which I thought was odd.
Does that high value extend to the digit-prefix guns?
Thanks for everyone's help and comments. A lot to learn in Six Land.
O
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Your box shown in the picture is not the correct box for that gun.
O M CRAZY
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, OM, I did not think so.
Were all convertibles shipped with the extra cylinder in a small box or were some sent out with just the bag?
Still wondering if a digit-prefix 4 5/8 convertible rates the same valuation? They lag behind the no-digits in the RENE guide, I believe.
O
O M CRAZY

Re: Old model six convertible 4 5/8 price jump

Post by O M CRAZY »

All the NIB convertibles that I have seen had the extra cylinder in a red felt bag and placed in a small imprinted box with information on what is in the box. I believe there are three different styles of boxes.

You will find out that rarity of the item will normally dictate the price, regardless of the serial number. A 100% gun with the COMPLETE package will also command a much higher price than listed in RENE.

O M CRAZY
chet15

Post by chet15 »

flattop44 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 am Here is an example of one that sold recently on our website.

SOLD PENDING FUNDS. Very nice RSS4x (187376) with walnut grips in original box. Nice rare package complete with 3 cent warranty and manual... If you don't have this variation in your collection here is your chance. $1500 + actual shipping/ins... FFL to FFL. Posted elsewhere so 1st I'll take it by date/time. Thanks.

Bill
Bill, what does the extra cylinder box look like for this? is it cut out cardboard made to fit a cylinder then taped or held together with a rubber band? Or is it the standard brown Single-Six extra cylinder box?
Chet15