RSS4 - Odd frame configuration or what?

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Single-six

RSS4 - Odd frame configuration or what?

Post by Single-six »

Not long ago i traded for a short barreled single-six, and it was after i got home with it that i noticed something a little odd when looking at it from the side. It looked like something went really wrong when fitting the cylinder to the gun and somebody stuck a small washer between the cylinder and the frame to fill in the gap. It goes without saying that i got a sick feeling about it. I took the cylinder out of it to look at the situation and the"washer" was stuck to the frame i thought, then i looked at the other side of the gun and then realized that it was not a washer at all but actually just part of the frame. But the question was why was it like this? Have any of you folks out there seen such of a frame notched out like this? The distance from the frame to the cylinder is correct, but the frame above and below the cylinder pin is about 1/32 of an inch too big. I wonder if it was just a mistake in the frame casting that Ruger might have missed or maybe they didn't miss it and just didn't want to throw the frame away. The serial number is 430057.
Attachments
Resized_20200426_190311.jpeg
Resized_20200426_190359.jpeg
chet15

Re: RSS4 - Odd frame configuration or what?

Post by chet15 »

Oops!!! Forgot to put a note on that in this past RENE.
Everybody should look at their 1963/1964/1965 Single-Sixes to see what the front inside of the frame on the cylinder opening looks like.
I am wondering if the frame you have came from the earliest Newport production investment cast frames. Pine Tree Castings in Newport started their own castings in 1963.
There should be more.
Chet15
BuckkleUp

Post by BuckkleUp »

Three of the four single sixes I own are like the one you show. I own a 1957, 58, 62 and 71. The 1958 is the only one that is flush with the frame. My first thought was were these magnum only guns. (the flush casting guns) But my 58 pre-dates the magnum cartridge.
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

Thanks Buckkleup for your reply. I was beginning to think that mine was unique.... I guess maybe that there are many out there. Makes you wonder what caused them to be that way. We'll probably never know....again Thanks , Donald.....