Hawkeye grip frames

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
dct454

Hawkeye grip frames

Post by dct454 »

I just read an article by John Marshall on the 256 Ruger Hawkeye. In it he states that some were produced with brass grip frames and some with Super Blackhawk square back grip frames. Does anyone have one,or seen one. I am new to ruger collecting but have been to lots of gun shows and gun shops in PA and Ohio. I own quite a few Rugers have never seen either variation. :?:
dct454
Hawkeye28

Re: Hawkeye grip frames

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Have never known in my world(have not been everywhere)any brass framed Hawkeyes, other than those modified by owner(s). Have seen 1 of the factory seconds(10) that was shipped with a SBH frame(I own this gun). Have seen steel GF guns(originally on Black Powder guns)
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I too agree with Hawkeye 28. I have never seen or heard of a factory brass frame installed on a Hawkeye by the factory.

O M CRAZY
dct454

Post by dct454 »

Could be customized buy the owners or pistol smiths I guess. If I were to change the grip frame on a Hawkeye it would be a Bisley grip. :D
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Well, since Hawkeye's were dropped from Ruger's catalog in 1964 and the Brass grip frame came out in 1965, can bet there probably weren't any Hawkeye's shipped from the factory with a brass grip frame.
As to the ten factory seconds however, I'm not sure all of them weren't shipped with Super Blackhawk grip frames. The reason being might be because of the wide trigger slot needed for the trigger. As mentioned, Splits second has a Super Blackhawk grip frame as do 3154 and 1974. I'm not sure about 403 which is known and is NIB. 403 is also the only example I know of that is marked with the "S" second marking on the bottom of the frame. 3154 and 1974 are not. If I remember correctly 403 does have a Super Blackhawk grip frame.
Chet15
chet15

Post by chet15 »

chet15 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:31 pm Well, since Hawkeye's were dropped from Ruger's catalog in 1964 and the Brass grip frame came out in 1965, can bet there probably weren't any Hawkeye's shipped from the factory with a brass grip frame. Heck, there might have only been 20 Super Blackhawks factory fitted and shipped brass grip frames (with non-prefix numbers) in 1968, and those were first cataloged in 1965.
As to the ten factory seconds however, I'm not sure all of them weren't shipped with Super Blackhawk grip frames. The reason being might be because of the wide trigger slot needed for the trigger. As mentioned, Splits second has a Super Blackhawk grip frame as do 3154 and 1974. I'm not sure about 403 which is known and is NIB. 403 is also the only example I know of that is marked with the "S" second marking on the bottom of the frame. 3154 and 1974 are not. If I remember correctly 403 does have a Super Blackhawk grip frame.
Chet15
fishhuntnut

Post by fishhuntnut »

I bid on this one Saturday, was last man non winner... ugh...
engravedhawkeye.jpg
Ironhawk

Post by Ironhawk »

Looks like a custom job never seen any engraved eather also newer style grips with sr button not original hawkeye button . Fyi.