Ruger & Mag-Na-Port, Thanks Vince

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
LIBERTY FOREVER

Ruger & Mag-Na-Port, Thanks Vince

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Vince,

I wanted to thank you for your display in Tulsa and the ROCS article on Ruger & Mag-Na-Port.
I learned a great deal from your display and it sent me digging to learn more about about Mag-Na-Port.
I'm now searching frantically as I want to be the proud owner of a few of these prized mid-seventies (1976 Liberty models) myself. If you or anyone with knowledge on these would like to comment on the two I have linked here to gun broker I would appreciate any comments concerning value and condition. If one or both happens to be "That Piece" your looking for Vince than by all means let me know.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/725647116
Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver in .44 magnum, as shown. It is equipped with a 4 5/8" barrel that was shortened to that length and 'Mag Na Ported' by Mag Na Port Arms. The front sight is by C-More sights, and comes with extra blade inserts in various colors. The barrel is also marked 'Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty' (1976).

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723506051
this excellent in hardwood case Custom Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk Mag-Na-Port MK V 5" cut down and ported barrel .44 mag. SA revolver. Serial # dates gun to 1976 mfg. early days of Mag-Na-Port Customs. These Mag-Na-Port Customs are stunning, features a gorgeous high polish liquid blue finish on cylinder frame, cylinder and ported barrel, only shows a faint turn line on cylinder. Brush nickel on grip frame, trigger guard and ejector tube with micro chip on end of ejector tube. Jeweled hammer and trigger. Excellent original smooth walnut Ruger logo grips. Comes with hardwood display case, showing some bumps and bruises on case.

Best regards
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Brass Frame

Re: Ruger & Mag-Na-Port, Thanks Vince

Post by Brass Frame »

Vince, you have a wonderful collection of Mag-Na-Ports. I bought an RCA Tomahawk many years ago and carried it on an Alaskan fishing trip in an "under the arm" shoulder holster. It was loaded with Garret, 320 grain hammerheads and it was a handful to shoot
For almost two weeks, we flew to distant places to fish and saw brown bear every day. I wore chest waders and the comforting feel of the .44 was good. While fishing in one deep pool, full of salmon, a brown bear tread water with his back legs while he held and ate fish with his front paws. The .44 was sure nice to have. I never had to use the gun, but the guide could not protect all of the fishermen at one time. The finish on the gun held up well and it handled the Garrets in practice sessions. The gun was the RCA Tomahawk version, #69 with the 4 5/8" barrel. Brass Frame/Lee E
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Gene,

Thank you for your kind words regarding my Mag Na Port display. I don't know if I can be much help but this is what I know about the two you are asking about.

The first one I believe was done for an individual, possibly on his own gun. I do not believe it was a special release from Mag Na Port. The price he is asking is probably what he paid to have the work done.

The second one is the Mark V. This is the first one issued by Mag Na Port and only 200 were produced. There were 2 variation made, One with the 200th year statement and one without. Of the 200 made I believe there are approximately 50 that have the 200th year statement. They will be harder to find. I noticed it has a slight turn line on the cylinder so that may affect the price.The price right now is a good price, and if it stays under $800.00 I think it would be fair. (if you don't mind the turn line)

As you probably noticed I already have the Mark V so I have no need for another. As for the other I don't believe it was a special issue from Mag Na Port. It does not seem to have that deep blue/black hi-polish finish nor some of the extra features Mag Na Port put on there special issue guns. Therefore I would not want it for my collection.

I hope I have been some help to you.

O M CRAZY....aka Vince
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Vince

Thank you very much for the reply it helped tremendously. I dug into the history of the Mag-Na-Port company and looked at many more models for sale. Its a collection niche all in itself as you have demonstrated very well. I have a few different collection areas and the Mag-Na-Port would best fit into one of my collections by finding the best 200th year Liberty model as an additional piece to my newly complete Liberty revolver collection (FINALLY). I don't own a ported gun and it seems like a piece I need. I'm going to buy one that I can shoot so as you say turn lines are part of it. Again thank you for your display and introduction/education to the Mag-Na-Port/Ruger relationship.

Best
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment