Ron Ackermans NMSS "Prototype"?

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
Rugerologist

Ron Ackermans NMSS "Prototype"?

Post by Rugerologist »

So, I have this NMSS in my hands but it still belongs to Andrew A for the time being. Andrew is under the impression that his father was working on this gun for Ruger or at Ruger sometime in the mid 80's. So far, I cannot confirm that Ron actually did work for Ruger at a Ruger facility. Andrew thinks that his father intended to help develop a new model lightweight and that this pistol was the start of that project. I've asked Andrew for any and all documentation that Ron may have kept from his custom gun shop that was in Memphis. Ledgers, letters, notes, bills of sale, etc. I don't know what if anything will come of that.

If anyone out there can tell me what the heck I have here or what they think Ron was attempting to do with this pistol I'd be grateful. I understand that it is not pretty whatever it is.

Kind Regards
Attachments
IMG-0975.JPG
IMG-0976.JPG
IMG-0977.JPG
IMG-0978.JPG
IMG-0979.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Re: Ron Ackermans NMSS "Prototype"?

Post by flattop44 »

Interesting, from the pictures it looks like it has a steel cylinder frame and cylinder so I wonder what would make it a "Light Weight" prototype?
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Maybe he was just going for a two-tone look with time....we may never know.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Sir,
I don't know what you have there,,,,,but you mentioned "New Model Light weight" and that got my attention.

Back in the early 90's Chad Hiddleson and I were corresponding (before email ;) ) about Ruger bringing out a NM LWT Single-Six. If I were you I would contact Chad for help as he was really pushing for these, alas it was not to be :( :(
Terry

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you, Terry. As you suggested, I emailed Chad. I'm hoping not to annoy him as it's the second time I've needed to email him in as many weeks for info.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Chad and I got off on a tangent discussing a London Nitro Proofed T678 and nothing much has come to light regarding the pistol which brought on this post. I think we can write this one off as a gunsmiths work in progress and may never know the intentions that Ron had for it.

I'm in a bit of trouble today with my wife as I've been researching Chief AJ for the book. I have RCA journals and other paper material laying all over our house and it's been this way for a few days. In doing so, however, I found some mention of Ron A. in the 1988 Journals and will keep digging. Going through these, (my journals range from Mar of 82 my birth year and month until 2001) I had no idea how long some of you have been displaying until I started actually reading through the material.

It is interesting to see how some of your collecting interests and displays have evolved with time. Some baby faces too! A true testament to the staying power and sincerity of you long time collectors. I find myself feeling humbled and gracious to have your collective wealth of knowledge available to me and other novice collectors who come here eager to learn.

Thanks again for allowing me to be here and tolerating my newbieness.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Hey if you don;t ask, you may never learn, and never know just who may be looking on ( lurking)whatever......
but in the long run you will come to learn that there are always "exceptions, and custom" stuff that all of us have done, have had done, and played with over all these years...wish I had a NICKEL for every Ruger that our shops have worked on, refinished, restored, customized , let alone all the OTHERS that have come to me, we have seen, and have looked at , in the same way...IF ONLY THEY COULD TALK, they ALL have a story , and for the most prt is ONLY that "Ruger lore", stories, and personal opinions, very subjectice.......addto that anything the old man ( Mr Ruger did for his ":freinds" and family that was NEVER written down nor covered in any book, been ther ,done that....

enjoy the collecting, keep asking questions, and talk with anyone you can at shows, displays, conventions whatever, I cannot remember them all, nor do I ever plan to write any book...most of the guns I have had or done are in others 'books'.............. 8-) :roll: or in their collections.......... ;)