10.5" NM Super Blackhawk .44

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
Rugerologist

10.5" NM Super Blackhawk .44

Post by Rugerologist »

I picked this up not too long ago because the price was right. I had it out this evening cleaning some things and now I am looking for a little more info. Can someone tell me more detail about Blackhawk models and common abbreviations? I think this is a model 0806 and I believe you would call it a K....something. I did find it odd that the serial number 87-87784 is so close to the first number listed for 2011 at 87-87786. Anyway, that's my show and tell for the evening. It's a blast to shoot bowling pins with! Thanks for any info.
Attachments
IMG-1410.JPG
IMG-1408.JPG
IMG-1407.JPG
IMG-1406.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
gunman42782

Re: 10.5" NM Super Blackhawk .44

Post by gunman42782 »

The K is Ruger's designation for stainless. Nice Super!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thanks! I'm loading up the jeep for a range day and it's in the bag.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Chuck,
Take any pics at the Range???

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

We ended up not going. Too windy and cold to deal with it.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I've been back and forth with Chad H. lately and he's been extremely helpful to me with some research. Because we were on the topic, and it's been brought up here lately, I asked for his permission to share this relative information. Here is what he had to say and I hope that this helps someone else.

"Barrels lengths are measured from the front of the cylinder.
Ruger's catalog numbers are getting pretty confusing as Ruger has also confused themselves.
Here's an early example of what Ruger has used...
BKH-36

"BKH" = Blackhawk
"3" = .357
"6" = 6-1/2"

A BKH-34 is a Blackhawk and the barrel length is 4-5/8"

An RSS5 is Ruger Single-Six 5-1/2"
BN-36 would be a Blackhawk, New Model, .357, 6-1/2"
Ruger's abbreviation for stainless is the letter "K", so a stainless new Model .357 with 6-1/2" barrel would be KBN-36. If it is also a convertible then it would be KBN-36X

S47 = Super Blackhawk, .44 Mag. 7-1/2"
S-47N = Super Blackhawk, .44 Mag., 7-1/2", New Model
S-410N = Super Blackhawk, .44 Mag., 10-1/2" barrel, New Model

And when Ruger went to the bull barrel on the 10-1/2" Super with hooked type front sight, they made the catalog number S411N.

A stainless gun would be KS411N.

Ruger's catalog numbers aren't too bad once you figure out the abbreviations. But as mentioned, they have been known to be giving incorrect catalog numbers to some of their guns over the last few years.

Anything you'd like to put on the ROCS forum is fine, I peruse that every now and then as well. References to RENE are always helpful as well, but I'm just here to pass on the info.

Need to keep this collector thing going.

Forgot to comment about the serial number on your Super being two numbers away from what was reported. The serial numbers listed in the reference as well as on Ruger's website are only a general number for a particular series at the beginning of a year. Chances are there could have been several hundred guns shipped on that given day but Ruger has picked one as a general point of reference.

Of course, the only true way to know when a gun was shipped is by factory letter.
Because Ruger does not mfg. or ship guns in serial number order, some guns may be shipped months, years or even decades after they should have been.

Chad"
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber