Why did Ruger DC the Vaqueros?

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
RocDoc

Why did Ruger DC the Vaqueros?

Post by RocDoc »

Why did Ruger discontinue the Vaquero, lack of sales? Is this because the cowboy action folks wanted something more Colt-like, i.e. the New Vaquero?
flattop44

Re: Why did Ruger DC the Vaqueros?

Post by flattop44 »

I think you hit the nail on the head, to appeal to the Cowboy action shooters. I was selling a bunch of Vaqueros back then and lots of people said they would all be trading their larger frame Vaqueros in for the smaller Colt size. Sure did not happen in my area. Those shooters told me that their guns were just like they wanted them and they were not interested in changing. May not have been that way everywhere but that is what happened in my area of the country.
FT44
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I agree on the trading in part...that not many did it. There were nearly 400,000 large frame Vaqueros sold between 1993 and 2004. Since the New Vaquero came out in 2004 (12 years ago) they haven't passed the 200K mark yet.
It was still hard for me to believe Ruger wouldn't continue making the .44 Mag. on the large frame because that was the next most popular caliber in the Vaquero, after the .45 Colt.
At least Lipsey's is on to that idea again though with a new Birdshead .44 Mag. model on the old frame. While they're at it, Lipsey's could probably get the exclusive on the whole range of large frame .44 Mag. Vaqueros again.
Chet15
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Think the large frame Vaqueros would sell in a short run. Ruger is missing the market by not having a single action 44 mag , and maybe 357 or 41 mag single action mag wheel guns in the 'cowboy' version, I just like the looks of a revolver without the sights. They know how/have done it before. I'm a likely buyer of a 44 mag or 357 mag in SS, think lots of other folks would too. Maybe Lipseys could do 250 count runs.
Nik87

Post by Nik87 »

Does anyone have a breakdown on the numbers for caliber and barrel length for the old model vaquero?
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Nik87 wrote:Does anyone have a breakdown on the numbers for caliber and barrel length for the old model vaquero?
With nearly 400,000 made, the scarcest regular production was in .44-40 with well under 10% production.
The .45 Colt was most common and the .44 Mag. next.
For barrel lengths, the 5-1/2" is most common, 4-5/8" next and the scarcest is anything in 7-1/2".
The rarity with the barrel lengths is compounded by guns with factory simulated ivory panels. Anything with a 7-1/2" barrel and simulated ivory is tough to come by.
Then there were a bunch of different limited production models....the Friends of NRA gun in .44-40 with non standard 6-1/2" barrel (550 made), the stainless 4-5/8" guns chambered for .40 S&W (with or without San Diego Sheriff's Assn. adornment), Sheriff's models in .45 with short barrels in blue and stainless, Convertibles in blue and stainless in .45 Colt/45ACP, .32Mag..32-20 or .38-40/.40 S&W and even a short run of .357/9mm convertibles.
There were quite a few interesting models in the Old large frame Vaquero series.
Chet15