RCMP Police Service Six

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
T.A. Workman

Re: RCMP Police Service Six

Post by T.A. Workman »

Your welcome guys.

To me the most important thing about that invoice is it "proves" that Ruger did indeed produce the 135 gun order of 5" revolvers.

There has been some speculation that the RCMP order was never produced. This letter along with conversations I have had with Ruger Records (contract for a foreign government) and Chad editor of the RENE all point to the fact that they were indeed produced for the RCMP.

Best,
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Definitely!! Terry, I sent you a PM.
Bill
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I wonder if the 150 quantity was speculative? Don't remember who that came from now (perhaps Steve Vogel and/or Sonny Johnson), but there now appears to have been more than 15 that were shipped as overruns to the "domestic" market. I wonder if that "15" was what the RCA had to sell to its membership at the time, part of the overruns that were still in Ruger's inventory?
Here's a re-listing of the current known serial numbers...
160-94833
160-94838
160-98363
160-98536
160-98538
160-98539
160-98826
161-00029
161-00030
161-00031
161-00032
161-00033
161-00034
161-00035
161-00330
161-04551
161-12021
161-18440
161-97988
162-19054

I might be wrong on this, but to me it looks like there were at least eight different runs for the SDA-85H. Don't get me wrong, the SDA-85H is a rare gun...especially so since those that the Canadian RCMP had/have are relegated to the scrap yard when the are done with them.
I will say that Ruger's double action production was for the most part not "random" as far as models/barrel lengths and their serial numbers. When they made a run of something there were long runs of consecutive guns of the very same model (just like the five GF-35H RCMP prototypes that were made, all consecutive). With the serial numbers above I see intermittent SDA-85H production. I just can't imagine Ruger building 2 here, 1 there, 5 a while later etc. When you are set up to do a production run, you do them...especially so the guns don't just sit on a shelf.
Chet15
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Some Photos Of RCMP SN#161-18440

I've enjoyed the posts and history lessons contributed by all on the Ruger RCMP. I've realized through conversation that most of you own a Ruger RCMP or have at one time. Terry, Bill, Chet, thank you for the additional receipts, paperwork and accounting information, I would greatly appreciate an email attachment or snail mail copy of the Gulf States memo. The Red Ruger tie clasp and cuff links were compliments of a deal with Bill, thank you FT44. Honorable mention goes out to Brother Carl the "Watertender" for his contribution to my finding the Ruger RCMP, and as you will see in the photos all things Canadian. Long before he started this thread regarding the Ruger RCMP he had sent me several Canadian items over time. Like many of us do Carl and I exchange and gift each other items we dig up such as books, blades, batons, brassards, holsters, military and engineer items and all things RUGER. I received a Canadian holster from him for the Ruger RCMP with a yellow post-it note (he tags everything) labeling its purpose and use. At the time I thought to my myself hummm nice but I'm not sure what a Ruger RCMP is and it went into the holster pile. He's also a fine blades-man with a grouping of knives for everything from filleting trout, capping African water buffalo or silently working your way through a Taliban checkpoint. He has sent me several fine Canadian Grohmann blades which is one of his go to brands. As an Infantryman my knife drawer was a huge collection of Gerber black synthetic, hack, whack, slice, dice and of course more Gerber multi-tools than any one Soldier could ever need. Needless to say he has cultured my knife assortment and appreciation and I've managed to turn his knife drawer a little darker. The head gear in the photo is from New York also, I don't want to know how he acquired it I believe its a State troopers. I traded him a stick of deer sausage and the bag of marbles he is trying to pass off to Bill. Pierre, you'll have to excuse me and use you imagination on the head gear. I certainly realize its far from an official RCMP uniform piece but I'm short on props and trying to expand my photography skills. Bottom line Gent's RCMP #161-18440 was meant to be as I've been receiving all things Canadian from the Watertender for some time before he posted it here. Thanks Carl,
Attachments
post 1-1.jpg
post 1-1.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
post 1-2.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Gene, looking good!! I enjoyed your pic set up, nice arrangement. I sure am happy that you got that revolver, a fine addition to your collection.

FT44/aka Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Gene that is a NC State Highway Patrol hat. I traded for that too... A jug of corn likker & a good cast iron skillet. Grohmann is a very nice blade. I like their products. The holster is an actual RCMP holster that will fit the 5" Model 10 S&W .38 Special they used to use as well as the Ruger Police Service Six they upgraded to. My collection of bludgeoning & cutting equipment was always pretty diverse. You have some decent head busters too. They are a whole other genre of implements. I have enjoyed trading with & learning from Liberty Forever. We both have benefitted from knowing each other.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Gene,
PM me your snail mail and I'll get a copy of the Gulf Sports letter out to you.
Best,
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Gene,
That is a sweet revolver & the pics are nice.
Good for you.

Now I just need to find something Watertender will trade me for
a "jug of corn likker" !!! :P

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Jay I lured him with the corn likker and left the frying pan where the hat had been.... Them hillbilly boys need convincing sometimes.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Ruger1nut

Post by Ruger1nut »

Gene very nice looking revolver. Great addition to your collection

David