Mismarked GS-34

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
RoninPA

Mismarked GS-34

Post by RoninPA »

Several of us, a few years ago, were talking about mismarked GS-34's. They were Speed Six frames marked Police Service Six. We proved, by measurements, that they definitely were Speed Six frames, not PSS frames that were made into round butts.

Well, I sent a request off to Ruger this week which included the serial number of that revolver. I got a phone call, about a half hour ago, from the Ruger Records Department. The girl wanted to talk about that serial number because I had written on the request form that it said Police Service Six on the frame. She wanted to make sure that I hadn't written down the wrong serial number or wording as the records show that it left the factory as a Speed Six and it would letter as a Speed Six.

So, now the mystery is why they were marked that way (as a PSS). We theorized that maybe they needed to fill a contract of 4" fixed sight stainless steel Police Service Sixes but might not have had any PSS frames on hand so they just rollmarked those frames with PSS and shipped them off.

As far as we know only 2 of these have surfaced. Mine is s/n 158-65850. It would be interesting to find some serial numbers close to that to see what they are.

What a great Ruger collecting world we live in :D
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Re: Mismarked GS-34

Post by MinorLV »

Hi Ron,

I have a GS 32 that is roll marked PSS...S/N 160-69936. Talked to Ruger CS and it shipped December 1985 as a Speed Six. I also have a GS 83 Box/Shipper etc that is roll marked PSS. I will check the Serial when I get back to LV.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Best,

MinorLV
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Michael, Terry T has a great post on the RugerForum showing a lot of the serial numbers of missmarked Sixes. Check that thread and see if your numbers need to be added to the list.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 8&t=261938
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Thanks Ron. I will cross check mine againt Terry's list when I get back to LV.

Take care,

Michael
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Hi Ron,

I was finally able to check my serial numbers. I own the GS 83 refeneced in the post. I also have a GS 32 that is not referenced 160-69936...the GS 32 is new to the list. I did pass along the info to Chad/RENE.

Best,

Michael