Another for the collection

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
RoninPA

Re: Another for the collection

Post by RoninPA »

I could be wrong but I don't think they made the Security Six or Police service Six in 9mm. I believe it was just the Speed Six. However, with Rugers you never say never, there have been some real odd ones come out of hiding every now and then that no one ever thought they made.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Actually they did make some Police Service Sixes in 9mm. Both blue and stainless I believe.
I happen to have a Police Service Six made in 1982, Blue 2-3/4" barrel that is NIB. It can be made available to some lucky seeker of such fine rare revolvers!! ;)
FT44
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

The you for the information gentlemen!

FT44...I would love to learn more about the Police Service Six 9mm.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I know of at least one Security-Six chambered for 9mm. It is a 150- gun with low back grip frame, but does have adjustable sights and a square butt. Serial number 150-28267. It was a Ruger prototype that was sold on their auction page on 4/29/2008 but failed to meet the 1K reserve. It was put back up for auction and sold July 22, 2008 for $1,500.
Oh yes...it was also fitted with the Pilorget ring.
Chet15
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Love the history lesson...thank you for sharing! Thoughts on why the Pilorget ring didn't become mainstream with their 9mm? Seems like a reasonably good alternative to the Moonclips.

Minor007
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The Pilorget ring is not as "taught" when less than six rounds are held in the cylinder. Even though it is kind of a hassle, the moon clips are much more reliable for holding those rims.
Chet15
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Thank you...makes sense!

Best,

Michael
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Six rounds in the cylinder to keep the music wire ring taut makes sense. I can see the benefits of the system but the half moon & full clips have advantages too. There is no reason to load less than six rounds anyway as far as I can see.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Watertender wrote:Six rounds in the cylinder to keep the music wire ring taut makes sense. I can see the benefits of the system but the half moon & full clips have advantages too. There is no reason to load less than six rounds anyway as far as I can see.
Unless you are a purist who doesn't like keeping one under the hammer. 8-)
Chet15