Doing more GP100 research

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
RoninPA

Re: Doing more GP100 research

Post by RoninPA »

"Ruger confuses themselves sometimes."

Yeah, and us too. Looking through my list I also see that in some of the newer models they use the full caliber, then barrel length, then what would normally be the underlug designation (but it's not like the first models)

1768 GP-35751 Blued, .357 mag, 5", half lug, adj sights, walnut grips
1769 GP-32751 Blued, .327 mag, 5", half lug, adj sights, walnut grips
1770 GP-4451 Blued, .44 spl, 5", half lug, adj sights, walnut grips

Then back to somewhat original
1773 KGP-1617 Stainless, .357 mag, 6", full lug, 7 shot, Adj FO sights, Insert grips

Yep, no standardization in the catalog numbers, but then they have told me they don't go by/use catalog numbers any more.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The 131 and 331 designations began much earlier, at a time when there weren't any distributor specials.
These newer catalog numbers are probably a result of management (different from the management that did the original 131 and 331 designations), who may (probably) don't know what those earlier abbreviations represented. Keep in mind, Ruger hasn't used catalog numbers in their catalog for a while now, only model numbers. I have been told by one of Ruger's distributors that Ruger still issues actual catalog numbers for new products, but most distributors (and the catalog) do not use them in their advertising.
Chet15
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Yes, the "new" guys probably didn't do any history on the line they are managing. I found out about the not using the catalog numbers one time where I was talking to CS about the model number vs catalog vs description. She told me that she could give me the description if I gave her the model number but her computer didn't show the catalog number(s) any more. So far, my best source for catalog numbers has been Lipseys, they show both the model number and the catalog number.

And that's where the confusion began in the difference in the way the new catalog numbers are versus the original (which were pretty easy to decipher). Now I look at the new catalog number and just scratch my head some times.

Oh well, such is the life of a collector, researcher, and non-company historian. :?
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
hittman

Post by hittman »

Hey Ron ...... anything come of the "proof mark" stamps we talked about on the other forum?
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Michael,
I have been trying to get through to PW Arms (the importer of this GP) but no luck so far. I'm sending them an email tomorrow to see if they answer. I called and left a VM last week but no answer.

I asked on another forum about them but it didn't lead me anywhere other than apparently there is a big book about the marks but I have yet to research the book to see if it is accessible on line. From what some of the guys on that forum said, I'm thinking Great Britain but who knows.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron