NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
Stonebuster

NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl

Post by Stonebuster »

I'm in the process of buying/transferring what I believe is a GS-83 DAO 3" 38 spl from out of state. Serial number 162-426XX seems to fall into the range of the GS-83 from what I researched. It does have the armorer's star stamped on the frame. The finish is not the Ruger standard brushed stainless but more of a fine matte which looks almost like it's been bead blasted. I read somewhere they used a media to get the finish that way to dull the shine of stainless for some LE guns. I've seen one or two online that look the same. I hope someone here can shed some light on this finish.
Attachments
IMG_0662 (1).JPG
IMG_0668 (2).JPG
IMG_0668 (2).JPG (90.71 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
67stingray

Re: NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl

Post by 67stingray »

Stonebuster, it appears to be one of the GS-83NYCPD Speed-Sixes which is considered rare, however I believe the brushed finish was done after it left the factory. I would get a letter from Ruger on it.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Stonebuster,
I collect the Six series revolvers and have a complete selection of the NYPD Sixes. As far as I have found, Ruger never included any in the contract that were bead blasted. All of the guns I have and have researched have been a brushed stainless steel. It is possible that this example was bead blasted after the NYCPD transitioned away from the Rugers. The individual officers were allowed to purchase their sidearms and it is possible that this one may have had some wear that the owner didn't want to try to fix himself and had it blasted. It looks good no matter what, and is a great gun to have be it a collector or shooter.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

Thanks for the replies. I've seen some photos of the gs-33 postal inspectors 3" 357s that look like the finish on the one I posted. The USPS speed sixes all seem to be 357s and my serial number is very late in the run of gs-83s. I wonder if it's possible Ruger was using up parts they had on hand at the end of the run? I haven't seen a sn# as high as this Speed Six in my searches so far. It has been and continues to be very interesting and informative researching these sixes while negotiating and working on this transfer. I sent the $$ today so hopefully I'll be able to complete the interstate transfer soon. I will get it lettered if and when I receive it.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

It very well could have been a left over from the USPS guns, Ruger doesn't like have odd pieces just laying around so it could have been used to help fill a NYCPD contract at some time. With Rugers you never say "Never".
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Very pretty Speed Six...thanks for sharing!
Stonebuster

Re: NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl/arrived today

Post by Stonebuster »

The GS-83 arrived today and officially own it now. It hasn't seen hardly any use and was pretty dry so I lubricated. It's matte finish /bead blasted look possibly done by a previous
owner. Not sure why on an immaculate gun unless it's factory. The inside of forcing cone has zero residue and even the cylinder notches are perfect. No carbon on top strap .It was worth the wait. ;)
Attachments
IMG_0670 (3)_LI.jpg
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0727 (2).JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Regardless of the finish, nice Speed you picked up.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

I got my letter of authenticity today from Ruger confirming it's a GS-83 produced in Newport June of 1988 for NYCPD. It stated it was shipped in Dec of 1988 to Davidson's Supply Co. in Greensboro, NC. which is part of Davidson's firearms in Arizona. This makes sense since the gun was bought from a seller from Phoenix who inherited it from his uncle also from Arizona. A former NYCPD officer posted the equipment dept sold unissued guns to distributors. Can any of you experts here make sense of why the letter made no mention of the gun being shipped to nypd although it has the armorer's star on the frame?
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

IIRC, the NYCPD guns weren't shipped directly to the NYCPD. They were shipped to different gun shops who were contracted by the NYCPD to receive the firearms and ship to NYCPD when the PD requested them. Davidsons Supply Company in NC was the beginnings of what is now the Davidsons we know. They started out as a supplier of a lot of different items, sporting goods, auto parts, and much more. They then moved to AZ and dropped everything except firearms. The NYCPD probably got a certain size "lot" of them from Davidsons and they went through the armorer and got stamped.

That brings me to my next thought. I do believe that the gun was refinished. Look at the outside of the gun and the inside of the frame. It looks like it was bead blasted. The rear of the frame and recoil shield looks too good and you can see where the cylinder lock pin has marked the rear of the frame. Then look at the crane where the armorers star is. It has obviously NOT been blasted. Whoever did the work probably did not want to possibly obliterate that special marking.

That said, even with the refinishing, you have a great gun, maybe not a pure collectors example but it is proven to be an actual gun that was in the NYCPDs hands at some point in time.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron