NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
Stonebuster

Re: NYPD Ruger Speed Six 3" 38 spl

Post by Stonebuster »

Thanks for the great info about the guns being shipped first to a distributor before being ordered and shipped to NYCPD where it was inspected/stamped w/star. I now know all I need to about the gs-83 thanks to you folks.
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

Please understand my questions are not meant to be argumentative and I respect the opinions of you experts here. My purpose is to learn. Is it your opinion that Ruger never produced Speed Sixes in a finish like mine? Is the reason you believe the star area of the frame wasn't blasted is the prominence of the machining marks? The color and surface when I look at it in person looks the same. Isn't it possible it wasn't fully finished in that area since it's not as visible as the rest? Since I've been laid up and house bound lately I've spent many hours researching the special contract Speed Sixes and noticed some of the USPS 357s have what looks like the same matte finish and some don't. The gun came from the sellers uncle who passed away and wasn't a "gun guy" . It was the only gun found in the house and presumably used it for HD.
Attachments
IMG_0763.JPG
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Your questions are not argumentative at all, you want to get as much info about your Ruger as possible, which all of us Ruger owners want so don't worry about it. We're all pretty thick skinned here and I would say that all of us have learned something different about guns we were sure we knew all about them.

Several things; typically the NYCPD guns did not have 3" barrels, they had 2 3/4" barrels, but the USPS guns did have the 3" barrels. Typically the NYCPD guns were not the matte finish like yours but a standard factory finish (a bit more reflective), but the USPS guns did have the matte finish. That is why I'm thinking that Ruger had some left over parts from the USPS contract and so they probably used those parts to help fill the last NYCPD contract. Mr. Ruger was loathe to waste anything so he would not allow pieces/parts to just lay around and the NYCPD probably didn't really care as long as they got the amount of guns they asked for.

The last picture you showed, does show the machining marks as well as what looks like a light blasting job so I still think it was the person who did the blasting didn't go as heavy in the crane area to preserve the armorers mark. From the picture I also don't notice quite as much "blasting" effects in the portion where the ejector rod sits when the cylinder is closed.

I think you have a very special gun.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

Thanks Ron, I'm pretty excited to own it. Here's the letter designating it GS-83. I know ALL the GS-83 were 38 spl(8) and 3"(3) thus 83. I do also, like you, wonder if since the USPS guns preceded the GS-83 and my gun was produced 6 months before(June 1988) the end of the run(sometime in 1988) whether they may have used frames and/or barrels left from the USPS guns. But the USPS were 357s and the GS-83 38s so the cylinders and the caliber markings on barrel would be different. I checked whether my cylinder chambers would accept 357 and they would not. I did take it to the range yesterday and was amazed at how much better my groups were vs my SP101 2.25". Great gun. :D
Attachments
IMG_0755_LI.jpg
hittman

Post by hittman »

RoninPA wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm That is why I'm thinking that Ruger had some left over parts .......... Mr. Ruger was loathe to waste anything so he would not allow pieces/parts to just lay around
Which is why you have little oddities like your gun.
And you'll find a few 2.75" guns factory rollmarked Ruger Police Service Six but with a factory ROUND butt generally reserved only to the Speed Six.

Some police dept. somewhere needed some revolvers NOW and the Speed Six frames were already done so ...... Ruger marked them Police Service instead of Speed and filled the order and cashed the check!

Keep on asking questions and doing the research. These little tid bits of info will serve you well when you're "on the hunt" in gun stores!
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

My pair,
GF-84NYCPD #162-40699
GS-83NYCPD #162-40935

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

Two beauties there! I read on ruger.com how rare the GS-83s are but I've seen more than a few online. The thread was over ten years old though. Thanks for sharing the photos.
hittman

Post by hittman »

I've never found any of the Six Series NYPD guns for sale but do have a couple of the GPNY's, the NIS and a USPS.
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

I'd love to see some photos, hittman.(especially USPS) I wasn't looking when I saw my gs-83, just browsing S&W forum classifieds. I spotted an old(2012?) auction listing for a nice gs-83 162-42654 ( 9 units before mine) for $500. Maybe someone here snagged it. I can see where this collecting might become habit forming.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

" I can see where this collecting might become habit forming."

hahahahahahaha hohohohoho hahahaha ROFLMAO Whatever gave you that thought? Stick around a while and see what happens :D
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron