low back vs high back

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
4t5

low back vs high back

Post by 4t5 »

So what is the value difference of the two all else being equal! :?:
RoninPA

Re: low back vs high back

Post by RoninPA »

Depends on the viewpoint. There weren't as many low backs made as high backs, so from a collectors view, the low back might be worth a more. Then from a shooting perspective, some like the "feel" of the low back better so it might be worth more to them. Others like the high back grip better so to a person who is strictly going to shoot it, the low back may not be worth near as much.

It's really all in the eyes of the beholder and what they want the gun for.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

The original grip "low/flat back" was redesigned to fit more hands, with the aim of a less-critical, more 'instinctive' grasp - the curved backstrap forcing the palm into a higher grip, more correct for recoil and thus lowering/minimizing the "palm-to-bore axis" relationship. Accuracy demands elimination of variables.
Collectors may like 'em for low production numbers, but from an engineering perspective, they are an inferior design. I "value" them less than a similar later GF. Usually $50+ under, but there is no concrete rule. :o

With my hands, I almost always have had to adjust my grip after the first shot or two when firing a "low back" GF gun. Remember the Security Six series guns were created to take the law enforcement contracts from S&W, so the improved grip frame design was critical to a quick (accurate) first shot and fast follow-up shots on a kill zone-sized target.

The younger models (all curved GFs) also incorporated the weight-saving concave cut on the rear of the recoil shield; something I personally think improves balance, especially under recoil? 8-) 8-)

- Whatever floats your boat of course - the Security/Service/Speed Six series is classic Ruger, and classy shooting wherever your travels lead. ;) ;)
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
hittman

Post by hittman »

Value differences, as stated, are in the eye of the beholder.
Generally with "all things being equal" there's no price difference.

Most of the oddities I've found though live in the low back world.

For example, a low back STAINLESS should be worth quite a bit more than a high back stainless. There just weren't very many of them made.

And, some of us have been lucky enough to find low backs (blued) with an "S" suffix on the serial number. Those too should command a premium price.

Another scarce low back may be the 6-inch.

Sadly, the double actions haven't enjoyed the collector appeal and price jumps like single actions. Never fear though ..... it'll happen.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Here's some pics of both. Low back on left, high back on right

For a collector, pristine/NIB/ANIB/not fired or lightly fired low back specimens normally command a bit higher of a premium that the same model in a high back, mainly because of the numbers produced. BUT, there are always the odd ball ones, like a 151- prefix with a low back frame or a 150- prefix with a high back frame ( this happened during the phase in dates of production.

Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Excellent pics to make the comparison evident to the untrained eye. Thanks for posting these.
Bill
hittman

Post by hittman »

Picture with grips.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Hittman, thanks for showing the Sixes with their grips in place, easy to see the difference in the comparison.
Bill