Postal Inspector Speed Six

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
gunman42782

Postal Inspector Speed Six

Post by gunman42782 »

I posted a pic of this a while back on rugerforum.com, and a sharp eyed member over there told me it was a Postal Inspector Speed Six. I just thought it was a regular Six, as there are no marking on it anywhere, other than the usual. Main difference is a true 3 inch barrel, regular Speed Six barrel length was 2.75, and the barrel is a little different too. He described it as more "Redhawk"- like. Anyway, I wrote Ruger and got a factory letter on it, and they where kind enough to also send a owners manual as well. It is shown with wood Houge grips on it, but the Pachmeyers with Ruger emblem beside the gun are what they originally had on them. Yeah, I sometimes carry it. I like to shoot em, not just look at em!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
RocDoc

Re: Postal Inspector Speed Six

Post by RocDoc »

That is one of the better stories of provenance I've read. Very neat!
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Speed Sixes ROCS; I have one and I think I am going to have to keep it. Why-don't know, but I like the looks of it.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Hello all...

I am currently building out my six series and saw this post. Suggestions on the best method to add one of the Postal models to the collection? Is it best to simply monitor Gunbroker? Other suggested sites? Look forward to everyone's feedback!

Ps - Gunman42782...interested in selling yours?

Best,

Minor007
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Hello all...

I am looking to build out my series six collection. What is the best method to add the Postal model? Search/Monitor Gunbroker? Any other suggested websites? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ps - gunman...interested in selling?

Best,

Minor007
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

The best way to build a collection is to just keep looking everywhere that they sell guns. However, be careful with the auction sites, many times the guns aren't as they seem. I picked up a very nice(by the pictures) Police Service Six that was in pristine condition. I got it for a good price, but when I received it, it turned out to be a reblued gun (you can tell by looking for certain things that happen when a gun is reblued if the rebluer isn't careful).

When you're on a trip, go to gun stores and pawn shops, you never know what might turn up.

If you are interested, I am selling a NYCPD model (Stainless Police Service Six, 4" barrel, with the NYCPD armorers mark meaning that it has seen NYCPD service). You can contact me at rlutz730@comcast.net or send me a message here. It can be seen here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 1&t=226862
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Thanks Ron.

Your Police Sevice Six 38 is very nice. I have one similar to it in my collection but mine is a DA. Also, I do not believe it is NYCPD. For future reference and educational purposes, where is the NYCPD armorers mark located on the frame?
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

If you open the cylinder and look at the frame if you see a 5 pointed star stamping, that is the NYCPD armorers stamp. This means that it was accepted by the armorer for issue to a police officer. The stamp is in the same place that S&W stamps the model number of their revolvers.

The PSS's that the NYCPD bought are all DAO guns, no hammer spur on them.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Thank you Ron! Guessing the NYCPD DAO are more desirable from a collectors perspective. Good to know going forward.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Yes they are, mainly because there aren't many in "civilian hands". When officers were issued these, when the NYCPD changed to semi's, they were allowed to buy them from the PD. In most cases they were kept by the officers and ended up going through their family and not getting out on the street very much.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron