1973 GUN DIGEST

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
T.A. Workman

1973 GUN DIGEST

Post by T.A. Workman »

On this beautiful cover are the first images ever released of Ruger's newest D/A revolver the SPEED-SIX. The back cover is dedicated to the Ruger Old Army and the Number 3 Rifle, with an interesting piece of art work from Bill's personal collection.

While there is no write up on the new SPEED-SIX on the cover in the Digest, there is a very interesting story to be told about a possible proto-type of this very gun.
It is in the collection of another D/A Collector. I will let him chime in and share the story should he decide to. ;)

Enjoy
Terry

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Brass Frame

Re: 1973 GUN DIGEST

Post by Brass Frame »

Terry, I have a copy of that same book. It is one of my favorite books of my GUN DIGEST collection. Bill Ruger sure knew how to promote and advertise his production guns! Thank you for sharing. Brass Frame/Lee E
d findley

Post by d findley »

The late Jerry Wilson owned that "Dragon" gun. Last time I talked to his son-in-law they still had it. It was not for sale.
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

d findley wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:25 pm The late Jerry Wilson owned that "Dragon" gun. Last time I talked to his son-in-law they still had it. It was not for sale.
Great info! Thanks for sharing that, often wondered who had it.
Bennett and I were discussing Trigg's last night and he shared a few of his sketch's that you gave him.
The man had an amazing talent for sure.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

James Triggs was a outstanding artist, he was one of the very best at trompe l'oeil art. If I'm not mistaken there where 15 years of Gun Digest that had his Ruger artwork on the covers. Don, thanks for the work that you've done to document and preserve the history of him, it needs to be remembered.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I ended up with an entire box of old Gun Digest annual catalogs many years ago. I have most editions from the 1940's thru the early 2000's with very few missing years. I was just looking at this very same edition earlier in the week and admiring many Rugers. They are a wealth of information and great reading.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Here's the story for those who do not visit the Ruger Forum.

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/the- ... st.302160/
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC