Security Six 170 series

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
jimbo1096

Security Six 170 series

Post by jimbo1096 »

At what point in production did the Security Six without rear sights become a Speed Six? How many of the Sec. Sixes are estimated to be with the no rear sight configuration, are they fairly rare?
RoninPA

Re: Security Six 170 series

Post by RoninPA »

Good question that us Six series collectors are still working on. However, the Security Six (fixed sight, square butt) did not become the Speed Six (fixed sight, round butt), it became the Service Six or the Police Service Six (fixed sight, square butt). Most believe the change in nomenclature was done when Ruger was trying to make inroads into the law enforcement markets. I have both a 2 3/4" and 4" fixed sight Security Sixes (square butt) but have not seen a "Speed Six" (round butt) that was marked "Security Six" but that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there. With Rugers, never say never :D .

Once the name change was made the Security Six was an adjustable sight, square butt revolver with barrels of 2 3/4, 4, and 6 inch lengths. The Police Service Six or Service Six was a fixed sight, square butt revolver with barrels of 2 3/4, 4, a some 6 inch lengths. The Speed Six was a fixed sight, round butt revolver with barrels of 2 3/4 and 4 inch length. There also were some 3 inch barreled models made in both the Service Six and the Speed Six.

If you haven't yet, join the RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange) and you will get the Reference of Ruger Firearms as part of your subscription. It has a wealth of information about ALL Rugers and a good section on the Six series guns which we add to when we find "new" undiscovered models.

Hope this helps.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Good stuff Ron!

I would also suggest RENE. As a DA Six Series/RedHawk collector, I have found the ROCS membership and RENE to be invaluable. Wish you the very best in you Ruger endeavors!

Best,

Minor007
chet15

Post by chet15 »

RoninPA...there are actually two Security-Six marked revolvers known with round butt and fixed sights. They are 150-01563 and 150-01571, both the model SS-82. The earlier gun made the cover of the 1971, 72 or 73 gun digest in the form of a Triggs painting. This was engraved and gold inlaid by Alvin White and was Bill Ruger's personal gun. It was later sold at auction and ended up in Jerry Wilson's collection (Wilson's World). Not sure where it is today since Jerry has been gone for at least 10 years.
Then a few years ago, 150-01571 showed up in Weaselmeatgravy's collection.
The Speed-Six wasn't produced in quantity until about about 50,000 guns later, but by then they were also all marked Speed-Six
Chet15
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Chad,
Good info to know, thanks. I knew there were Sixes marked Security Six with square butts but didn't realize there were any round butt models. Now I do, abet not very many (2?).
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron